EU power adapter for Carbide Compact Router

I’m wondering if anyone has hooked up their Carbide Compact Router to 230V? Guess I will be needing some sort of adapter, and I’m looking for advice as to what I should buy.

Typically people in the EU get a 230V makita router instead. In order to run a Carbide Compact Router in the EU, you will need a stepdown transformer since it can only run on 110/120V.

1 Like

It’s not designed to work at that voltage.

Get a Makita RT0700 — the collets will work though.

1 Like

As @WillAdams said a 120V US router will not work on the EU standard of 230V. There is also the difference between US 60 HZ and EU 50HZ. So even if the router could stand the 230V the 50HZ would make the speeds off. The 120V US router would likely burn out with 230VAC on it.

The power supply for the Shapeoko is likely made to accept 120V or 230V and still works. Look at your power supply to see if it can handle 230V. If it does then you will only need to replace the 120V plug with an EU version.

There are a lot of videos on youtube that explain but here is a simple one.

I bought the Shapeoko 4 during their Black week sale, and the deal included the Carbide. I chatted with the sellers before purchasing, and they ensure med that I could buy a transformer, which is why I am asking.

Given that I already own the Carbide, would you still recommend me buying a new Makita or find a transformer?

If you can finds one with a high enough power rating, a transformer could work. I think you need 7 amps, so about 850 watts.

If you can, find one rated higher since you will be using it continuously.

Whilst it is possible I’d order a makita or similar. Typically the cost of a rated transformer would be over a compact router.

A trim router is £80 from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-RT0700CX4-240-Router-Trimmer/dp/B00EKK6LAO/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2SDOXRUSP749P&keywords=makita+router&qid=1672310921&sprefix=makita+route%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-5

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I tried finding a Norwegian store that sells the Makita RT0700CX4, but without success. The most similar I found was the Makita RT0702C. Anyone know if this would work?

My understanding is the RT0702 has a “No Restart” safety feature which will interfere w/ using it w/ a BitRunner, but otherwise it should work.

1 Like

A transformer connected to a router can be a pain, depending on the quality of the transformer. I’ve had issues with a few when connected to machinery (running parts) and obviously anything with a heat coil. I started with the Makita 700 and it has never been a problem.

2 Likes

Just to give some resolution for other people who may come across this post:

I ended up buying the Makita RT0702C and everything works great so far. The cord was long enough, and it supports collets of size 6mm, 8mm, and 1/4" (you’ll need the ladder one if you have bought bits from Carbide.

I have not tested this, as I have not bought the BitRunner.

Note that you can use our precision collets in it:

and buy additional sizes from Elaire Corp.

Tha Makita came with collets in SI-units (6mm I believe). It was also compatible with the collets that came with the Carbide Compact Router (which I got for free on the black week sale). I’m using the once from Carbide when cutting with the bits that accompanied the Shapeoko :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Elaire Corp. collets are worth buying since they are better made to tighter tolerances than the stock collets.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.