Everything can't be metal

Soooooo

Everything can’t be billet aluminum…let’s see what wood can do. Im a pure tree trainee and this should be fun. MRR alone is much much MUCH higher than metal so hopefully that will effect designs, complexity and quantities.

First up, Red Oak…because thats what Lowes carried in stock for “premium” stuff. Custom double side machines soap dishes to make gift packages with my gfs homemade natural soap bars.

First time using the sculpt environment in Fusion, its super easy to make ugly shapes in there so I kept it simple. Spheres to level the bar and a 2 degree slope to provide drainage, also the bottom is relieved with a few standoffs to limit soaking.

Next up are some mini tray concepts, really just practice for larger gifts but they fit and feel very good.

Everything finished with a double soak in boiled linseed oil (already had it). Kinda digging the natural look and with a small enough ball stepover, hardly any sanding!!

I really want to try metal inlays… soon

13 Likes

First picture I thought you were going to engrave the soap.
Awesome looking trays, and perfectly timed since my daughter was just asking if I could make a soap dish.

1 Like

welcome to the world of carbohydrate foam

5 Likes

@Radiation Ive been asked to engrave soap…its the work holding that’s tricky lol. Better to make a mold

@fenrus that’s an interesting way to put it. Still rocking the single flutes though!

2 Likes

I’ve never heard wood called “carbohydrate foam” before, but now I’ll never refer to it any other way again.

3 Likes

@Vince.Fab, I am curious to hear about your toolpath approach and feedrates, if you don’t mind! The finish is great!

2 Likes

Toolpath approach is very similar to aluminum Milling except i skipped the semi finish stuff. Fusion adaptive running a 0.250 Amana sf compression at almost 100% opt and 1D depth, 0.002-0.003 chipload. Left 0.020/0.020 stock and came in with a 3f ball running 150ipm and 0.010 stepover on a scallop path, inside to out.

The biggest differences were leaving enough floor on the roughing to minimize vibration and then going with a final contour to cut all the way through with a 0.125 end mill.

2 Likes

This SIR is TREASON!!! The All Metal Council will hear bout your betrayal.

All joking aside it looks good and Metal inlay on wood will look great.

5 Likes

… and no cutting fluid :wink:

Wood works nice with 2-flute as well… chip evacuation is less of an issue than metal, and lets you go more vrooom on the IPMs

2 Likes

Oh, yeah? OH, YEAH? Just you try some purpleheart! Yeah, try that stuff! :smiley:

PS. I’m jealous, because I can’t get those organic curves and make them quickly enough to sell anything at a good “chinese” price. :wink:

3 Likes

Are you telling us that you didn’t even think about what the soap dish would look like in billet 6061? :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

COWS ARE FLYING!
CATS… LIVING WITH DOGS!
END OF TIMES!

Those look sweet. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As Able said this will have to be brought to the council of Rick’s.

1 Like

I was already pushing a 10lb feed force so pushing it harder was a balance with workholding. I used lower rpms so the recipes could be adjusted for any router spindle setup. Still getting nice chips though.

Oh man, that stuff is on the bottom of the Janka scale, im intrigued now haha. Not sure if i have time to scour Houston for exotic hardwoods though. You can definitely get those organic curves, check out @Julien sculpt work, that’s what gave me the push. Quickness is just a matter of batching, gets boring for me though.

Well yeah…but its kinda hard to stomach that much machining for gifts. Maybe one for the house…

You gotta give the people what they want! Plus…that MRR. After being “all metal” for years, it was time to start expanding. Got a huge chunk of plastic for another project soon!

5 Likes

you are going to REALLY have fun with “renshape” (it’s not cheap; but the carbide3D guys at least sell you a 3x5x1 block set for a price you add to some other order)

that stuff CUTS. And it even keeps its shape very very well

I have a little bit in stock but what I really want to try it tooling board to make fast sheet metal press dies!

Houston Hardwoods on 6th Street will have any wood you want. Just take out a second mortgage before you go. Also Houston Hardwoods on 34th Street off 290.

1 Like

Also check out https://www.clarkshardwood.com/ . They’ve changed a lot, but may still have some stuff to play with.

2 Likes

I miscalled Houston Hardwoods, it is Clarks.

Ipe, 3680 Janka.

Cutting it took 10 years off the life of my previous table saw.

3 Likes