Experiment for Keepsake boxes

This was an experiment for a 12x8 inch Keepsake box I am going to make. I used Inkscale to create the svg of Jesus and found a script font for the text. The wood was 1/4 prefinished plywood with masking and acrylic paint. The box top will be maple. The vcarve was 301 90 degree vee bit. Created in cc and cut with cm.

4 Likes

Here is a picture of my keepsake boxes. Also is a picture of another top I cut in plywood to see what it looked like.

I have 6 of 9 glued up. I will make some plain tops, some with images and messages. Since these are 45 degree miters I made a spline in the corner to reinforce the joint. I will dado out the bottom of the box with a 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch deep and put a plywood bottom in. I have some red velvet material I bought at Hobby Lobby and use 3M 77 spray adhesive and trim the material and screw the bottom on. I used to make captured bottoms but with the dado I get an extra 1/4 inch in the box interior. These boxes are 2 3/8 deep so every little bit helps. The box tops will be loose with a small rabbet around the lid to keep it from sliding off.

4 Likes