Extra unnecessary cuts

Can you share the original image you used for the Dodgers cut and your gcode?

btw one quick check I have learned to be very useful:
turn the machine on (but the router off!) and see if - with our hands - you can move the collet in the router around. If there is any wiggle in that, that’s a very clear sign of mechanical slop that needs to be fixed (but at least the test is easy enough to do)…
I’ve found most of my mechanical issues (vwheels and belts and… bad bearings in a dewalt router) this way

2 Likes

dodgers logo dodger cap.c2d (554.2 KB)

Hey julien i really apperciate your detailed support, I went through all the things you said the check like a checklist to make sure we eliminate every possibily to narrow this down. After inspecting the wheels i discovered the one wheel was lose and could freely spin so i fixed that wheel by tighting it down. I next focused my attetion to the Z wheel my was more of a THang tight so i tighten it to the Twang tight. Next are my v-bits, for my cut i am using a 90 Vbit, I have made this cut in the past with the same v bit that is in the carbide library and it came out clean with my 90 V bit from Amana bits. I do not know how to add the 90 V bit into my carbide library so i just click on the availble V bit that is in the Carbide library, for this cut it has came out clean. I will be doing a new test cut with the same image and v bits, hoping the things i just fixed solved the problem, will be keeping the post updated!!

1 Like

I also get my Z zero by my Carbide touch probe

I checked to collet with the 90 V bit inside it and there is no play we can check that off the list

Update on second test cut I am still getting the same result :weary:

Can you try cutting a square? Just Vcarve along the perimeter.

1 Like

yeah ill go ahead and carve the simple shapes, you said carve it with the 90 v bit right?

How did you set Z-zero?
Your file has those little bumps in it, maybe your Z is just too deep.

Once you get the square done, post the results.

If it looks perfect, try this, cleaned up, SVG for the dodgers logo.
dodger

1 Like

I have ram this cut before and it came out perfect now when I run it it’s choppy, I did notice the small bumps in my file idk where those came from, sorry for the delay I work weekends so hard for me to get around to this

1 Like

As crazy as this seems my cuts have gotten even worst, I tried everything julien said to look into and it’s a tad bit worst maybe I tighten my Z belt to much?

Hi Matt,

It’s hard to track down precisely what is going on in a “real-life” cut like this latest one, there seems to be a mix of mechanical issues and leveling/Z0 issues. At this point I think you should try basic shapes as @neilferreri said, in a soft material (do you have MDF lying around?)

That pic you posted with the round hole, what does the corresponding shape look like in CC ?

Try drawing a 10" x 10" square, create a regular contour toolpath but select a 90° Vbit (the preview in CC will not look right, but ignore that), set total depth to 0.2" and depth per pass to 0.05", and let’s see how it comes out? That simple test should tell us

• whether there are remaining mechanical slop (i.e. if the straight lines are not straight)
  • whether the Z-zero is correct and the stock is flat (i.e. if not, the corners will not be right angles)
1 Like

Hey guys after making a simple circle I believed I have pin pointed to the problem here, I noticed that my belt on the left side of the machine is not as tight as the others so I tightened the belt to the point it makes the twang sound and now it is allowing me to cut a perfect circle again. As I keep cutting multiple circles to test the machine I notice that my circles are slowly again becoming elliptical again, as I examine the belt I had just tightened it appears that it is becoming lose after multiple cuts which in turn is throwing off my cuts slowly. I also noticed on the same belt there is a small indentation on the rubber belt I will post a pic. I have yet to make any other cuts as of yet. Second question is where can I find a replacement belt? Again thanks guys for all the help i really appreciate it!!

1 Like

Write in to us at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll get this sorted out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.