Extrusion bed for S3 xxl plans anywhere?

My neighbor has a scrap metal side hustle and I happened to look over today and he has a trailer full of 1.5" x 1.5" aluminum extrusions that are 10ft long each. Long story short, he said I could have all I want and I told him I would give him whatever he gets at the scrap yard for them. After a little back and forth I got him to agree to let me pay him for them. He gets $0.42/lb for aluminum so I think I just hit a jackpot for sure. He said the place he gets them from has all kinds of sizes up to 4"x 4" all the time. At that price I can’t see NOT making a bed for the XXL!

Anyone built one and have tips / measurements needed handy they could share?

Some links at:

https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Workholding#T-slot

esp. see:

• 4 - Misumi HFSQN4-15250-1015 ALUMINUM FRAME incl. shipping: $263.99 https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/110302261820/?ProductCode=HFSQN4-15250-10151
  • pack of 100 - Misumi PACK-HNTP6-6 NUTS FOR ALUMINUM FRAMES (spring nuts) incl. shipping: $55.01
  • 16 - M6-1 flat head machine bolts (not very long - can’t remember the exact length): $6
  • 1/2" felt strip for steel bar: $3.50
  • 1" steel bar from local steel company: $17

Also: Help from next door neighbor brazing tabs onto the steel bar for mounting: Priceless

Additionally: a tap-and-die set, a countersink bit, drill bits you’re comfortable using on aluminum and steel, and plenty of time and patience.

Thanks for the link! I am not looking to make them to sell, just have been eyeing a couple but could not justify the price tag for a hobby machine. But at the price he is giving them to me for, not making one for myself would be a shame.

If I were able to get extrusion at that price, I would purchase these brackets. Then you can easily attach any amount of extrusion you want, based on the measurements of your XXL.

1 Like

Not the exact same extrusions (he uses 1030) but PwnCNC has a blog post about making an bed for the XXL which would give you a pretty good jumping off point for whatever extrusions you can get.

Extrusions Bed for my Shapeoko XXL

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.