Feature request: Rounded rectangles

I know one can create rounded corner rectangles in Carbide Create, but they then don’t have a defined center point and are a bit more difficult to move around than the standard square rectangle tool’s rectangles.

Would Carbide 3D consider adding a rounded rectangle tool? I would then expect the resulting figure to be able to be modified for length, width, and corner radius.

Michael

@myklhn Michael, I’m a little confused at the ask - as I am pretty certain you can do this today. Maybe I’m missing something.

If you create a Rectangle, and set the corner type to “Fillet”, you can set the corner radius to anything you want and you get a “Rounded Rectangle”. That object can be moved (with a center point) and sized just like any other rectangle. You can also click on the rectangle and change the radius of the corners…

Is there something I’m missing?

2 Likes

No, it is me that is missing something. Thanks for pointing this out - I had totally missed this.

Michael

OK … Good.

By the way, a fillet in mech engineering is the rounding of an interior corner…this is an exterior corner…which, I believe, is really called a “Round”…so it should actually be ROUND - which would have been more obvious to you…I’d bet.

I’ve given this a try and it does work. What I really wanted though, is a primitive instead of a construction. The construction gives me many nodes along the circular path, but does give me a central node for the straight lines. One of the things I use a great deal is the center of the entire object, which is available in the circle and square rectangle primitives, but not in the construction.

I can work with the construction, but I know many CAD programs have some primitives missing from CarbideCreate, such as the above mentioned rounded rectangle, ovals, and arcs of circles (looks like s slice of pie).

While I know I can work with other CAD programs to do the drawings I want, for most simple projects, I’d prefer to use just Carbide Create, thus the feature request (and the others I mentioned should be added to that request.)

Michael

I think the center point is still there…
Create a Rectangle with FILLET and a radius:

Then do whatever else you want…when you want to position the rounded rectangle, select it and press the MOVE function:
The Move Dialog comes up - and the object has a center handle which you can use for positioning…

Plus the “Anchor” and Position parameters allows you to empirically use the center (or any of the corners) as the positional anchor:

So I think you have all that you need…?

EDIT: I don’t know what you mean by “a construction”, so you very well might be looking for something that isn’t there…if so, please be sure to say so - so the request doesn’t go dormant. I don’t want to dilute your request if it’s really not in the code already.

1 Like

You are correct. What I hadn’t noticed is that the rectangle tool has the square corner/rounded corners selection. What I was doing was creating a rectangle then using the fillet tool. The resulting combination (what I called a construction) does not have the center. Now I know about the various rectangle options, it makes much more sense.

So, in short, the primitive I wanted for rounded corner rectangles does exist. I just didn’t find it.

I’d still like to see ovals (true ovals) and arcs (that look like a slice of pie).

Michael

1 Like

I agree…I’d put in another request for those objects into the Feature Request thread…so it’s categorized properly and considered for future releases.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.