Feature request - volume

In carbide create (or any cad software) the numerical geometry is already in the file. Would it be possible to add a spot, possibly in the 3d view, that tells the volume removed for a particular path? This would greatly help those of us who do epoxy inlays or similar.

This is a Pro feature:

Build 762

• Pro Added Toolpath Volume Calculation tool after simulating toolpaths.

I have the Pro version of CC and it does indeed give you the volume. However many things in CC are wrong like the estimated time to run a job (tool path). In CM the time is always different and not C3D’s fault it does not include time to change bits and me being slow to respond to things that need attention. So if you get your volume it is always a good to give yourself 15-20% more epoxy than you need. If you have colored your epoxy it is very hard to match the color on a second batch unless you carefully measured your colorant which is hard to do with minuscule drops of color. I would rather waste some epoxy than waste a whole project.

1 Like

I used this feature to get an estimate of volume for a silicon mold to do repeat epoxy pours. It gave highly accurate results. I believe it adds up the volume removed during the 3D simulation of the toolpaths. So long as you are using bits of supported geometries, the 3D simulation can give a very precise calculation of volume of material removed with each toolpath.

It would be awesome if they could use that to create more optimized toolpaths(for any of the toolpath generators) which don’t waste time cutting air! If a toolpath segment/section results in zero(or close to zero) stock removal, then skip to the next section.