Feed and speed problem? 2nd day working with V-groove router bit, and exploded the blade

I may be paranoid, but I wear safety goggles at all times when the router is on, and that is on top of having an acrylic door on my enclosure. Obviously, no shards of metal will go through several mm of acrylic, BUT if you are like me, one day you will find yourself in a situation where you will open the doors while the router is still on, to “just check something”. I have my goggles on, so I can do that without thinking twice.

2 Likes

I buy safety glasses (prescription) that I wear all the time. I order my distance prescription glasses from glassesusa.com. They are always having a sale or clearance. For my close up glasses (prescription) I get them at Walmart. The current pair have builtin side shields and are ANSI rated. I am always working in the shop so that is why I get safety glasses. When I first went to work for Eastman Kodak you went on very long basic training classes. One of the first things they showed was an industrial film about a man who was grinding a drill bit and the wheel shattered. The poor man got a shard of the wheel in his eye. The film went on to show the eye surgery. Believe me that made an impression on me. When my grandson was younger and he would help me work on my cars I made him wear safety glasses. When I taught him to shoot his BB gun I made him wear safety glasses. He is now 26 and still wears safety glasses when he is working. Lead by example and always wear your safety glasses in the shop. Ironically the only time I got something in my eye was about 3 months ago. I was carrying a board with saw dust on it and the wind blew very hard and I got a piece of sawdust in my eye. It took 2 days to finally get it out. I have a Bausch and Lomb eye wash kit I keep in the bathroom. The eye wash kit has a bottle of solution and an eye cup to fill and you can put over your eye and then blink blink blink.

2 Likes

The router is a woodworking tool and as such, safety glasses are a must. Cut elsewhere from that shard would heal quickly or probably not even cut you. The other side of the shop isn’t much force. But, In the eye it would blind you. Forget doors, wear eye protection.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.