@Moded1952, your posts about “probing” are full of incorrect statements and mistakes that have led you to incorrect conclusions. Basic electronics training would advise you not to use a multimeter in such a fashion without considering all of the circuitry around the points that you are “probing.”

I’m not trying to criticize you personally, but you are making uninformed mistakes that would take way too long to explain.

Most likely there isn’t anything wrong with your board, but no one on this forum can tell you that without examining it physically.

1 Like

Sorry - perhaps I wasn’t clear there - You use the vacuum with the narrow hose adapter for a few minutes in between jobs to clean out underneath. I have yet to have enough aluminum chips under there in a single job where I thought it might become a problem. Or in worst case pause the job and get in there with the vacuum for a couple of minutes.

The diode-like behaviour is not unsurprising as likely there is some sort of silicon (chip/diode/transistor) connected in parallel somewhere in there.

Yep, you’re right, I have a very basic knowledge of electronics and have little clue what I’m doing.

I’m very sure the board is dead now though. When I press the power button it lights up then slowly fades to black.

What I’m wondering about regarding the solder blobs is whether they’re some kind of defect that was present before I killed the board, and whether they may have contributed to its demise.

When I say the blobs “behave like a diode”, I mean that when I have the meter in continuity test mode, I see a connection when I probe in one direction but no connection when I probe in the other (i.e. I swap which blob each probe is touching).

I’m interested in the z-axis and spindle parts if you’re letting them go.

I didn’t mean to be dismissive of your earlier posts or actually so blunt. Sorry about that. I have indeed read your prior posts quite carefully and I’m sorry you’ve not been having a stellar time with your Nomad.

If there is a mismatch between the marketing and the reality of the machine, I personally don’t think that difference is very large and - let’s be honest - it’s to be expected. It’s marketing, not documentation. It’s supposed to highlight the positives and gloss over the negatives without actually lying. It’s intended to convince you to purchase something, and it’s your job as a consumer to discover what you can, weigh up the benefits and risks, and make your own choice. And, naturally, cope with the inevitable regrets and shortcomings :slight_smile:

In this case, the marketing spiel is this:
CNC machines are capable of making beautiful parts – if you know how to use them.
The Nomad 883 Pro is not just another CNC milling machine, we designed it to make machining something that normal people can do. All of the complexity of traditional CNC machines is handled in the background. This is only possible because of our highly-integrated hardware and software, something that isn’t possible if you have to find your own software to run the machine. The Nomad 883 Pro includes all of the hardware and software you need to take your 3D file and make a part. We’ve taken the uncertainty and frustration out of the equation, just open the box and get started.”

I’m don’t think much of that is very misleading. But, the Nomad is a complex machine and not an appliance. Perhaps on some level you were expecting an appliance.

2 Likes

A new update: Carbide 3D graciously sent me a new Carbide Motion board for free, even though the failure was absolutely due to my poking around like an idiot without the slightest clue what I was doing, so big +1 to support there, I’m very thankful to them for that.

And on edge finding, I found the Fisher Machine edge finder at KBC Tools. It has the 1500 RPM rating so it should be safe to use on the Nomad.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.