A totally non-critical part that opens the door failed on my car. I figured I’d pay the Porsche tax and it would be an easy fix, turns out, I was wrong
“Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately that part number you have supplied is no longer available through Porsche. Looks like they have discontinued it. See below.”
Probably spent a few hours iterating over the various designs and hours, and hours learning how to generate toolpaths in Fusion and operating the mini mill. For sure a learning experience, but pretty cool to go from design to physical part.
This casting retained a pin that held the pull strap in place. Well, it was supposed to.
This is what it should look like (passenger side).
So I modeled a part, and then realized I 100% didn’t want to machine it.
So I tried to simplify the design. The new part slips on and will be epoxied over the existing door handle where the existing adapter screwed to.
3d printed the first few prototypes
Then proceeded to crash a few end mills