Finished my first part

A totally non-critical part that opens the door failed on my car. I figured I’d pay the Porsche tax and it would be an easy fix, turns out, I was wrong :joy:

“Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately that part number you have supplied is no longer available through Porsche. Looks like they have discontinued it. See below.”

Probably spent a few hours iterating over the various designs and hours, and hours learning how to generate toolpaths in Fusion and operating the mini mill. For sure a learning experience, but pretty cool to go from design to physical part.

This casting retained a pin that held the pull strap in place. Well, it was supposed to.

This is what it should look like (passenger side).

So I modeled a part, and then realized I 100% didn’t want to machine it.

So I tried to simplify the design. The new part slips on and will be epoxied over the existing door handle where the existing adapter screwed to.

3d printed the first few prototypes

Then proceeded to crash a few end mills

17 Likes

Sweet!

Have you considered polishing and then anodizing it?

I should probably learn to add fillets haha. This sucker is sharp. No reason to polish or anodize it IMO since it sits behind a plastic shroud.

1 Like

:+1:
That feeling when you make a 100% DIY replacement for a broken part…priceless.

4 Likes

OIC.

In that case, at least take a file or deburring tool and ease the edges — don’t want it damaging anything unseen.

Do you anodize yourself or do you use a service?

Haven’t yet — it’s something I’ve read about which sounds interesting (and fortunately, not as environmentally hazardous as electro-plating).

Maybe a job for a 3D printer. I just added a Prusa MK3S to compliment my Shapeoko. Printed some functional minor parts designed in Fusion. Warning - it is addictive. Nice job on your milling BTW!!!

Boxster 986? Nicely engineered fix!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.