Finishing Lettering on Charcuterie Board

How are people finishing their letters on v-carved charcuterie boards. Most of the ones I see on Etsy are laser engraved, but I don’t have a laser engraver. I want to use my CNC but do the letters stand out enough if they are just carved?

I personally think that anything intended for food service should have a completely smooth surface, so that it can be cleaned properly.

Unless intended only for display or as artwork, I would never consider using laser engraving, nor would I leave a board just V Carved.

Any serving item I have created I have V Carved then filled with epoxy, sanded smooth and then finished with something that helps seal the surface so it doesn’t absorb anything - I have had good success with ‘Odie’s Oil’. It’s not cheap, but it’s easy to use and so far very durable.

2 Likes

My first thought with something like that would be make the large letters big enough to do them with inlays with a dark wood like walnut, ebony, etc… Then I would do the rest with Vcarves and colored epoxy which is easy and fun.

1 Like