First brass project

I am going to machine my first brass project this weekend and I’m hoping to get some guidance. I will be making a ring rosary out of 1/4” brass. It will get a chamfer on all edges - I plan on doing this with my whiteside 60 degree v bit (1550). What feeds and speeds would be appropriate for this operation? This will also be my first 2 sided machining job. My current plan is to cut the chamfer & locating holes on side 1 then flip the brass and cut the chamfer then cut the profile out on side 2. Does this seem like a solid plan?

Here is the wood version - no chamfer.

2 Likes

You should check with Whiteside, it’s doubtful that they would recommend this, or any of their products for metal.

2 Likes

They might not recommend it but they do cut aluminum pretty effective

Ask one of my clamps how I know

3 Likes

Whiteside said it will work well for shallow cuts and engraving.

1 Like

Did they provide speeds and feeds info?

They said 16,000-18,000 rpm. At around 150ipm.

As for feeds and speeds, check what Winston and Julien use. A chipload of 0.001" is pretty safe place to start.

I’m not sure how you plan to chamfer the material without any contour initially. That means your endmill will be essentially v-carving into the brass. I would contour it partially through, chamfer, flip, contour, and chamfer to finish.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.