First Cir/Dia/Squ Done

(Josh Tenny) #1

I finally got my first Nomad part done. I fully admit that it took me to task relearning the proper strategies. This is a circle/diamond/square test which is very common in machining circles to test a machine. Even with me re-machining this piece 7 times in some areas (while I was teaching myself over and over again) The worst deviation from nominal was 0.007". I think my wall finishing strategy is to blame for half of that. My tool diameter was also around 0.002" smaller than nominal which I did not account for in my programming…so there is also half the deviation. This is evident in my measurements since they are larger than nominal, which is how a smaller diameter tool manifests itself. In depths the highest deviation from nominal was 0.002". I think that is more representative as finishing strategy is not nearly as much of a factor. So even with a rusty programmer, it is very capable of holding tight tolerances. Now to make some more of them and refine my programming to get better finishes. I’m also waiting for a 1/4" collet to arrive so I can face the top surfaces with a larger tool.

6 Likes

(Luc) #2

This is great, maybe if you could provide a bit more info so we can all learn. What material, F&S, endmill used, etc. Did you use Meshcam or F360?

1 Like

(Josh Tenny) #3

This is 6061.
I used the standard #102 endmill that comes with the Nomad.
I used Fusion 360. I’m going to refine the files more from the experience I gained. Once I do, I will share my file. Most of the work was done with adaptive. 10k RPM, 40 IPM, 0.030" optimal load, 0.040" stepover, leaving 0.020" axial and radial. I think next time I will reduce the stock to leave to 0.005"-0.010" as the Nomad is more precise than my XXL and I can leave less margin for Z axis deflection. Finishing was done at 10k RPM, 40 IPM.

I was mostly pushing feeds as much as possible, which is great for the adaptive operation, but I know there is a lot of room for improvements as far as finish goes in the pocketing and contour operations. Especially at the top and bottom of the Y axis where the vise jaws/tabs were.

2 Likes

(Julien Heyman) #4

interesting, chipload of 0.0017" (after chip thinning), that’s slightly above what I would go for in 6061 with a 1/8" endmill.
What DOC /maximum roughing stepdown?

1 Like