First cut… first failure

Ran my first cut. Tried a set of coaster on some scrap wood. Learned the value/need for tabs. Somehow it jumped from #2 to #6 and it got stuck and needed a quick shutdown :grimacing:.
Also learned that thin wood likes to split :man_shrugging:t2:

How bad was your first cut?

6 Likes

I have made some beautiful fire wood, broken more than my share of bits.

Questions, Just ask

5 Likes

Ah yes. Just focus on Failing Your Way to Success. You’ll get there.

Big community here to help.

4 Likes

I’m a redeemer! 2 sets of coasters made now. Not perfect but it’s good example to learn with. I’ll probably run a few more different designs just to get a feel and try different complexities. But I’m happy with the progress. Also happy that with my dust control been keeping up.

7 Likes

Great work. The process is where its at :slight_smile:
Stay safe

1 Like

I think we have all been there before. I learned real fast on how to properly use the hold down clips! My 18" clock became a 12" clock very quickly. Haha

Just cut one today though and zero issues this time around.

I also learned the importance of really tightening the CNC bits in the router and rough passing / finish passing to prevent the bits from gripping your work piece and loosening it.

1 Like

When I was first learning the lathe I started making a platter and ended with a saucer. Then I made a rolling pin. The center was beautiful when done but the diameter was so small you couldn’t get your fingers under the handle. I cut it in half and made 2 mallets.

My lathe work was a series of F’ up and recovery.
At least with the lathe you can recover often even if its for a top. A lot of the other tools in the shop screw ups lead to trash.

Although I have a hard time throwing many of this scraps away. Enter the Shapeoko, I can now do interesting things with pieces that seemed like trash before. Although I make more trash on it as well.

1 Like