First cut on Shapeoko 4 XL

I’m a complete noob with CNC and I’ve had a few issues getting it setup, which is probably expected, considering my aforementioned experience. Thanks to Eugene in Support for sticking with me in my efforts to resolve the issues.

The Getting Started video courses have been pretty helpful so far, but decided to get in the pool.

Not great, but considering the lack of effort I put into refining the tool paths I’m happy with the results for a first cut. Anywho, thanks for the look.

Cheers.

5 Likes

Great first try. The pine is always going to be fuzzy due the softness. Decrease your step over and that will help cleanup the carved out parts.

2 Likes

Hi @RichM,

Welcome to the community!
That looks like a clean cut with a mechanically sound machine, lines are straight and ovals are oval, you’re good to go :slight_smile:
Like Guy said, pine is not a great material from a CNC perspective, at least not when there is a need to have fine details, so when you use pine don’t beat yourself up for not getting superb results…

2 Likes

Thank you both! I appreciate the reviews and tips.

Understand on the pine and will move on to harder woods once I get into more serious projects. I think I remember seeing in one of the early videos that running a tool path twice could clean up some of the fuzziness?

Thanks again!