First mistake- unneeded bit runner purchase

Absolutely new to all of this, and I already made my first mistake and don’t even have my machine yet. I ordered a bit runner, but I ordered the spindle kit, so I do not believe I need it. It will be here Monday, but my machine is 3-4 weeks out. Is there a use for this or should I just try to sell it. As an FYI, I did search the forums beforehand about this, but could not find any “newbie” friendly solutions to the question. Thank you.

With the spindle it is not necessary however i will say depending on your plans for the machine it is always nice to have a backup plan. Most cant afford 2 spindles so having a router in case the vfd goes down is not a bad thing. Another option for the bit runner is to use for dust extraction. Please do not quote me on this but the bitrunner will still plug in the the control board and you can plug a vacuum into the bitrunner that will start and stop on with your job. Just an option to maybe look into b4 you send it back or sell it. @WillAdams would know the best

Good deal. Thank you. I do have a dust collector dedicated to just my CNC, so that is a good option if I can do it. Thank you.

Don’t feel bad, I’m in the same boat. On using the BitRunner for the vacuum, if I remember correctly, that is a bad idea. I don’t believe the board can handle the extra draw of the vacuum. Don’t quote me, but please verify before trying. Good luck sir!

1 Like

@Rizzo @dvandhi, I cannot speak for the 5pro board but i have had my 3xxl and use a splitter on the bitrunner that i plug my router and vacuum into and have been doing it for about 5 years. I am not saying it isnt as @Rizzo said but from my experience it hasnt been an issue.

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks!

1 Like

Contact sales@carbide3d.com to return the BitRunner, or keep it and source a trim router as a back up.

To run a vacuum, use a current-sensing device such as:

2 Likes

The Bitrunner v2 Deluxe has a 30A 240V relay in it plus a bunch of noise filtering circuitry - so it could certainly handle most any shopvac.

I don’t know about the Standard version though.

3 Likes

Thank you. I am running a Harbor Freight 2 HP dedicated to just the CNC. So I will look into current draws and see about that. Would be nice to not have to have a separate switch.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.