First project, last minute coasters

I finally got around to assembling my Shapeoko XL, and made some last minute Christmas gifts

Some coasters cut out of teak, for the local importer of SIG Sauer firearms. Modelled in Fusion 360.

Minimal hand sanding, and a bit of oil.

Overall, I’m quite happy, even though there are some small machining marks, and on one of them, I didn’t have the 1/8" ball endmill extended far enough.

I wonder if that is something Carbide Motion could check? It should know how far the Z-axis can extend, and could use the bitsetter tool length probe cycle to determine if the current tool can actually reach the lowest Z-point in the toolpath without the Z-axis bottoming out.

5 Likes

For your next project try these sanding detail strips. They are available at rockler and woodcraft and maybe amazon.

93500-01-1000

5 Likes

I got this suggestion from the wizards on the Vectric forum. Hasn’t let me down yet.

3M Radial Bristle Discs 1" Diameter 4 GRIT Assortment 12 Brushes & 1 Mandrel 1/8 (E 2)

I agree with @gdon_2003, the sanding sticks are awesome. I bought both sets because I wanted the full range of grits for whatever I encounter, and I have used every one of them at one time or another.

Here’s the “standard set” with 80, 120, 180, and 240 grit sticks.

Here’s the “finish set” with 240, 320, 400 and 500 grit sticks.

And if anyone is interested, here’s a pic of the holder I designed and printed. I printed it up side down and hollow, and filled it with cement and put a neoprene pad on the bottom of it. If anyone wants it, I can throw it on Thingiverse.

2 Likes