First Project on SO3 - wine cellar sign

So here is my first real project on my new Shapeoko 3 that I ordered on Black Friday. I did the entire thing using Carbide Create and played around a lot with the different types of cuts. This is cut on some Western Red Cedar where I glued 2 pieces together to make it one piece.

Here are a few questions for the group. I welcome any feedback as well.

1. Are the lines at the bottom normal - I know they can easily be sanded. I used the 201 bit included with the machine which I think is an upcut bit. But am hoping to see if these can be eliminated as I get more experience
  2. Any ideas on how best to finish it. I’d like to make the things on the surface a bit darker than the rest so the top surface stands out.

Overall, this was super fun. I am still dealing with the random disconnects but using this forum to try different things. I just put my computer and machine on the same surge supressor and now have the router on a separate outlet and will try that for a while.

5 Likes

About the lines in the flat bottom, check your tram.
Lots of guides on the forum and YouTube.

Very nice @dmstone7 !
I’ve done several projects in cedar also and had the same “lines” issue. @BrokenEndmill is correct about the tram, but keep in mind that cedar tends to be really stringy at times and can pull away from the main body of the cut depend on the direction of the router during the cut.

As far as finish, try a few different finishes on test pieces you might have left over. I’m going to suggest oil of some type for a nice satin finish. You got a beautiful piece there and that grain will really pop with finishing!

1 Like