First projects from our library makerspace Nomad 883

We purchased a Nomad for our library makerspace back in June(?), but we are just now getting around to having patrons use the tool - and I am so glad to see it get some use. We’re still figuring out some questions of policy and logistics for allowing access to the Nomad. Our space is relatively small (about 450 sq-ft), but we have three 3D printers, a laser cutter, the Nomad 883 and room enough to hold classes, so we’re proud of our free, public makerspace.
Here are some of the first few projects from the Nomad. Your (kind) thoughts and comments are welcome!

For our local Maker Faire, one of the projects was some pinewood derby cars based on models we found on Thingiverse. We tried making some at Maker Faire, but that pretty blue button on the front of the Nomad is very tempting to little fingers, and jobs kept getting stopped. I never did remember to put tape or something over the button.

One of our patrons wanted to make a ring-box but it couldn’t be ordinary, so he decided to try out the Nomad. Not bad for his first project attempt (and by ‘not bad’ I mean ‘pretty darn awesome’).

And finally, a group of patrons has been working to understand the workflow to get from circuit board layout to a finished product ready for soldering. One patron made a lot of good progress and came up with this. The circuit is simple (just an LED), but it was great to see the process come together.

4 Likes