First sign..need ideas and some questions answered

Far-out man!

Was it distressed, burned and depressions filled with bitchen little dried flowers, coins and weed before you resined it?

3 Likes

Here’s what I’m thinking so far. Thinking I’ll stain most areas that are still shown as natural wood. Just need to think of a good contrast color for the resin pour in the name section.

4 Likes

So everything is pretty much painted as the picture is shown with the addition that everything shown as natural wood has now been stained a medium dark color.

Im rethinking my idea to fill in the name area with resin as if it doesn’t go well, it’ll be a mess to fix with limited options to choose from. So i’d rather paint or stain this area. The problem is the screw up i made that runs below the W and around part of the first Y…see that trough where the tool ran deep before i caught it?! Do you think filling that with bondo or something and then painting behind the name would be a better idea? I think stain is out because i don’t think there any fillers that would allow that area to look the same as everywhere else because it’s been filled.

In addition to my last question, should I paint the detail areas in the mountain white or leave the natural pine color?

3 Likes

Each additional operation affords another chance at a mistake or error or problem. It’s a good thing to know when to stop on a project — I’d leave it as is.

3 Likes

But that tool mess up is ugly…I can’t leave that be.

Use a chisel or gouge or veiner to add texture?

Well, shipping cutoff date has arrived and had to call it quits. Learned so much on this project, mainly what not to do next time around. Overall I think it turned out ok to most people standards but I’m a model maker by trade so the details is what ruined it for me.

8 Likes

I think it looks nice, and the little flaws only give it personality and a special sense of “someone spent time doing did this just for me”. Well done…both for the project itself and to have seen this through.

3 Likes

Thanks @Julien . The painting of the letters was the most tedious part and something i need to either avoid or do differently in the future.

You could select customers with short names! :smiley:

Please come to the realization that this is what sign making is all about. The finishing is more than half the job. Would more money for the job make the work more palatable?

It’s a bit difficult when they are family :slight_smile: :

1 Like

I’ve seen a lot of stuff off of etsy and purchased from “professionals” that doesn’t look nearly as nice as this. Nice work!

1 Like

Considering this was a gift…yes, $$$ would have made things easier but at the same time hard because it’s a paying customer.

Especially when the family member is in the same field as me ( aka my jedi master as he likes to refer to himself) it makes it extra difficult because hes got the same eye for detail and a pretty high bar of standards!

I’ve been toying with this idea…what does one think a sign like this could fetch with the average customer?

1 Like

Beware of Etsy (etc.) … the place where all great ideas are spread quickly times millions! :smiley: You’ll always have less competition locally; both for product ideas and $$$.

1 Like

For pricing, I think it really depends.

Personally, I would expect to pay $200+ for something that size and that custom.

The average person, who believes your cnc is mostly magic from Frosty the Snowman’s hat and spits these out, would expect to pay $50.

I’ve worked in R&D for consumer product companies for over 20+ years and you couldn’t have said it better…especially when it comes to custom items. It’s crazy what people think they should pay vs. what it actually cost to make (materials, labor, etc.).

I wish my first sign projects looked this nice! Good Job.

1 Like

This backs that up pretty well…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.