Flat tops on peaks in terrain projects

I am trying to create a terrain map and I keep getting flat tops if the hills in my models. Is this a setting I’m missing or is this just how CC creates its toolpaths? They shows up in the final mill as flat areas also. Thanks.

how did you get to this point? stl->png or similar ?

are you sure you’re not having your mountains “stick out” over the top of your material ?

I used a digital elevation model in .jpg format and there seems to be a constant issue even in the lower points of the model (well below the top of the material). Thanks for your help.

hmmm if it’s not just the top something else is going on… any chance you can share (part of) your file for us to take a look?
(it must be some setting or so; the software can do these quite well, it’s unlikely to be a gap on that side)

1 Like

I do need to ask how confident you are that your source image is not having this in its data… there are many (free) data sources, some better than others :wink:

1 Like

Can you share any of your files?

Thanks for your interest. Here’s a link to the file I am using: http://www.paulillsley.com/Earth_8192x4096.jpg

(sorry for the delay in response; only my evenings are CNC time)

I’m not seeing it when I make the design:
earth.c2d (1.2 MB)
(note I used the 514 beta version)

Did you make a finishing pass, and what tool did you use to make the finishing pass?

1 Like

Thanks for your time.
I made the finishing pass with a 1/32 ball end with 1/10 width stepover. That’s when I saw the issue.
I just opened your file and it looks great. I’ll make some adjustments and see what I can come up with.
Thanks again.

if you don’t have a tapered ballnose bit yet (something like https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B015C61XX4/ ) you might consider those… you can feed them at 50 to 70 ipm due to the structure of the bit. (warning: they tend to advertise radius not diameter)

I didn’t do anything special in the design that I can think of (but used the above bit in the finishing pass… but 1mm vs 1/32" is not that far apart)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.