Flattening / Machine out of alignment?

Looking for some help. shapeoko 4 xxl had been machining and flattening boards just fine and smooth until a week or so ago. It seems that small ridges are coming up when flattening my cutting boards. Not terrible, but enough to see and feel slightly. Maybe .006 or so on a caliper. Previously I had none and it was fantastic. Now needs a little more time with the orbital.

Any thoughts? Something out of alignment with the machine? But what exactly? Wasteboard was leveled with new slats and router mount trammed a few weeks to a month ago and everything good then.

Something started loosening up most likely.
Check your V-wheels for sure that they are all in contact with the rails & are clean.

1 Like

change diam. of tool so they overlap a bit. there is wear on tool. Not dead sharp from factory

Could need tramming.

Try flattening with a raster path: spirals out from the middle. Rubbing your finger nail over the ridges will indicate which way your router/spindle needs to be moved. Tiny tram adjustments is usually all that is needed.

1 Like

Yes, seems to be tramming and a V wheel on the Z plate was loose on the right side bottom. Adjusted the eccentric nut there. Interestingly, that one has come loose a few times the last few months and has needed adjustment.

Trammed this morning and looks better, but may need some more fine tuning. Ridges are smaller in X direction no. No ridges in Y direction.

Thanks for the help. If anyone has any additional pointers, that’d be fantastic. Tramming is a patience tester for me.