Flattening stock to specified thickness

I have 2 pieces of stock roughly 2" x 6" by varying thickness. The thickness was cut on a bandsaw, so one piece varies from 0.86" to 0.84, and the other 0.89 to 0.86. I would like to use a whiteside 6210 1" spoilboard bit to do the flattening. What would be the process to do this? I imagine at toolpath which covers the stock surface with doc 0.01", and the tool set in library for 0.01" doc. This would make it run one surfacing pass after zeroing on the thickest part. If it does not flatten the entire surface, re-zero the z at the new thickest part and run again. repeat until flat. Turn the board over and now the question How to continue surfacing to specified thickness of 0.75"? Is this a different tool path to be loaded with stock thickness changes? stock from top or bottom? thanks this will be my second project, the coasters turned out sweet!

Gotta be honest, I would most likely do this manually using the jog menu, rather than a program.

However, you could set up a program with 0.010 DOC, and a 0.050 depth, and just stop it once the surface is all cut flat. Once one side is done, you could flip it, set your zero to 0.800 above the bottom
of the stock, and let it rip.

The same toolpath should work for both sides.

I would side clamp and use the wasteboard as the Z reference. Face one surface the minimal amount to flatten. Flip and face to final thickness. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, using jog like Tod suggested. Set z zero on waste board surface and jog z+ to the thickness desired and use x and y jog to flatten, moving z- until its at 0.75"?
This is beginning to make sense. thanks all for newbie help!

2 Likes

I make a couple of programs. Takes about the same amount of time as it does to jog once you get it down. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.