Flip Machining Video

For those who have been looking to take on making two-sided parts and just haven’t thought through how to go about it, we just just put out a new video. Give it a look, then go make something.

8 Likes

Actually, I learned more about Hollywood than two-sided machining. {sigh}

What questions do you have?

:cricket::cricket::cricket: Twenty Crickets……….

I have watched it multiple times but have not had a chance to try it yet to get more questions.

My biggest confusion on two sided was how to zero the second side and using pins. It seems you avoided those in your example by the way that you designed the project.

There are multiple ways to do this — my preference is to design the project w/ Center Left origin w/ top/bottom at the top/bottom half of the stock, then do the top half first using the origin as lower left, then do a flip rotating the bottom left corner to become the top left corner and using top-left as the origin — if you could post a file we can walk through this with you.

1 Like

I don’t have a specific case yet. Hopefully soon I have just been pondering the whole locating pin and some people zeroing on the pin.

So in your scenario when you say the flip side has the origin at top left you are saying you re-zero there?

Yes, it’s best and most accurate to use the same corner for setting zero after the flip as was used for the first operation.

For clarity: you are saying same corner of the physical material regardless of the position of that corner?

Yes. For consistency, you want to measure from the same point, so that all things are relative from that point.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.