Font problems carbide create

So super new to cnc and programming and knew I was gonna have to learn some stuff to use the cnc. So I was having problems with trying to use it to drill some holes to ad inserts for clamps and stuff. Yes I could have used a drill but because i have a cnc I wanted it to be exact as i can. So made the first hole was oversized because I guess I had the wrong setting. Was told to remove the width of the bit because the program didn’t take the width of the bit in account ( I don’t know how you can tell it the type of bit and it wont auto do that for you its 2019 lol) so after doing that change i was trying to make a hole .320 and using the .250 bit that came with the cnc so i made the hole .070 thinking that would work right? no it comes up with an error and not doing anything. Remember i know nothing about this so im doing what would make sense in my head.

So lets move on to the font problem im trying to make a epoxy color pallet with all the pigment colors. So i want to have the name and a hole with the epoxy to show the color. So i make all the holes in create and begin to type out the color names. The first 2 go great but get to the 3rd and the font is bigger than the other 2. I have been making the heights of the font the same since some names have multiple words so the same height should be the same for all the name right?? Even if its the same amount of letters the letters are all different sizes. I double checked 100x to see if i have the same font and sizes and everything is the same. How am I having so many problems without even using the cnc.

I want to get a better program but this day and age everything needs to be its own file time and program you cant use a different file type because the cnc wont read it. The program is also crashing ALOT on my laptop and freezing like every 5min.

I tried to make sense of this sorry if my typing doesn’t make sense
Imgur
Imgur

Unfortunately, Carbide Create measures the actual extent of the type in a given text block.

To see an extreme version of this, set both a . and an ! in two separate text blocks and set them to have the same height.

Most expedient thing to do is to set all the text in a single text block, then use a Boolean operation to break it up, then select what’s needed for each line in turn, group it and position as desired.

Alternately, use a 3rd party tool such as Inkscape which has more capable text options, set the text as desired, then dupe the file and convert the type to paths (Path | Object to Path) and save as an SVG which can be imported into Carbide Create.

God this sounds like a terrible program. Skimming thru the forum seams like a bunch of people are having problems with this program. Any programs i can use that has everything so im not using multiple?

Have you done any of the tutorials from Carbide?

There are also good tutorials from John Clark and Stufftokeepyouentertained on YouTube where you will learn to use CC correctly and learn to make a few projects along the way. A .320 diameter hole should be perfect size with a .250in endmill. You have to set it to cut a 0.320 pocket or inside contour with a #201 bit (.250in). A .070 hole is smaller than the .250 bit you want to use.

1 Like

When making those holes i tried multiple setting and sizes. I think doing it as a inside contour it wouldnt show up in the preview or tool path. w/e i will try some tutorials. Just thought this program would be little more easier to use im not doing anything complicated I was trying to drill a hold and type some words lol

After you have done the tutorials, things will get better. CC is fairly easy but it has limitations, you just have to understand how it works and doing this without having no CAD experience and no training can lead to interesting results. CC does not follow some of the O/S convention for things like copy and select so you need to know this. I suspect that some of your problems may have to do with proper selection of the objects you want to create a toolpath.

Do yourself a favor and watch the training videos, you will waste less time and material and reduce your level of frustration.

3 Likes

Others on this forum have said this but I will repeat. CNC Routers make lousy drills… If you want a .25" hole you need to use a smaller bit. There are different types of bits, upcut, down cut, compression etc… For making holes try to use upcut bits. The 201 .25" Carbide3d bit is an upcut. If you use a downcut the bit will pack a small hole with sawdust and may burn it. Upcut bits leave a rougher upper surface. Down cut bits make a smoother upper line but pack the saw dust in the kerf and if it is a through cut the bottom of the piece will be rougher. Wood is made of fibers and you will get fuzzies on almost all cuts. Usually a quick pass with a sanding block removed the fuzz left by routing.

Take your time and expect failures when learning. Failures lead to success later. As a woodworker you will make mistakes. You will learn how to work around mistakes and save your project. Sometimes you have such an accumulation of errors that the best thing to do is drop the whole thing in the trash and start over.

Get your self some pine and make a model of what you want. After your perfect your technique then move on to the more expensive woods and materials. You have to learn to crawl before you walk, you have to walk before you can run.

Stick with it and you will be successful.

2 Likes