Fonts and ArtWork

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for Fonts that cut true. Particularly Handwriting style.
Also artwork~?

Any font should work well w/ V carving — some might warrant a more acute endmill.

For artwork see:

https://elements.carbide3d.com/

I have seen some of the cursive hand writing fonts have stopping points on one letter that does not always match up with the start stroke of the next letter. This is baked into the font and you have to try and find a font that looks more natural if you want hand writing like fonts. There are hundreds of fonts available on line. Some fonts are not properly formatted and do not show up in CC. When you install a font it is best to right click (windows) and install for all users. I have found a few fonts that just will not show up in CC no matter what you do and it is likely that the fonts do not conform to standards for fonts.

It’s not so much that it’s baked into the font, it’s that folks use these fonts in software which doesn’t support the kerning tables which are used to make the final adjustments to get things to line up/connect (while it should be possible to design the font so that that is not necessary, many fonts to use kerning tables thus to get things to join up)

Note that it may be necessary to union the fonts to get things to cut properly — this is best done in a 3rd party tool which will get the spacing correct, but if you must do this in Carbide Create see:

https://carbide3d.com/blog/merging-script-fonts-in-carbide-create/

To get fonts to show up, they do need to be technically correct and have a space character, and the new beta allows ornamental fonts which were disallowed in previous versions.

To Will’s point Inkscape is free and available but can be time consuming to learn to master. Well any advanced software takes time to master. I have posted on the forum about Affinity Designer. The cost is $50.00 USD but they have half price sales. If you are going to take t he time to learn a high level software program then make it worth your time. The Affinity Designer is a powerful tool with lots of tutorials to help you learn it. What I find most useful is the text on a path. Now free is free so Inkscape is a very good tool if you take the time to master it. However the Affinity Designer rivals Adobe Illustrator for a fraction of the cost. Plus Affinity had Photo and Publisher which are fantastic tools for their purposes. Affinity Phono is close to Adobe Photoshop and the Affinity Publisher brings all of Designer and Photo together to create multi media presentations. Inkscape edits pics and and output to svg but it is not an integrated tool with the publishing capability of Affinity.

1 Like

With regards to handwritting fonts, the one I use most often is “Edwardian Script ITC - Regular.” I am pretty sure it came with Microsoft Office. You may be able to find it online elsewhere but I am not sure. I did however recently have an issue with the capital V on that font though. Everything else carver really nicely but the right half of the V came out very faint and did not end up deep enough. It took a little work to widen the shape by exporting an SVG and then reimporting the V back in. Lined it up with the original and deleted the pure text version and then used the node edit to make the lines a little further apart. So far it is the only issue I had with the font so far though. This is how it looks in Carbide Create.

@gdon_2003 is right about Inkscape. It is free and a very powerful tool to help with this stuff but can take a while to learn. I have made use of it and GIMP so far as free tools to improve the images that I import into Carbide Create for use. Both are great tools but do have a steep learning curve if you are not used to design software. So far I have used Inkscape for things like resizing a lot of circles all at once for a cribbage board, laying out a large number of circles along a path (also for a cribbage board) and curving text along a path. There are great tutorials for these online. Gimp is great for removing things from images and sharpening up lines that you want to import using the new trace tool in Carbide Create. I am definitely going to check out the Affinity Designer software and see how much easier that may be. If it can save me some time in learning more features of Inkscape it may be worth the purchase.

Several sources- Pinterest is one, another is google type fonts/lettering. Some free some $, but generally a choice of various files JPEG, PNG, SVG etc. You may down load some and convert with Inkscape or other program. A conversion program is “vectorize.io”

Thank each of you. Workin on it. Hope to develop a part time business. TIME

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.