Frequency of Initializing Machine

A newbie question here but do I have to initialize my Shapeoko 5 Pro before every job I do if I have the BitSetter enabled? Or, after initialization at the start of the day, can I continue to run jobs back to back, using my BitZero to reset my x, y, and z zeros in between jobs (so long as I make sure to do a “tool change” process for the probe when I insert it to get my new zero coordinates)?

I’m having some trouble with cutting air or plunging through the stock which I think is user error on my part (I found this article which I think pinpoints my problem Unexpected Z-Axis Plunges) but I want to double check on the initialization requirements as I try to sort this out. Thank you!

The only times I initializes are:

1. first power for the day
  2. if I had to stop the job mid stream (although this does not seem to be required in CM 635 anymore)
  3. if I hear one of the axis lose a step for some reason
  4. if I disable/reenable the bitsetter because I am running a job with a dragknife other than stingray or using a marker.

On #4 I actually power cycle which is not supposed to be required but in practice on my Pro(not 5 Pro) XXL if I don’t I will get odd behavior with Z.

Most of those cases don’t happen frequently so typically for me it’s just once per day.

1 Like

Awesome thank you! That’s what I thought but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. I really appreciate your help!

I do it on “power on”, as required by Carbide Motion. Then, I try to minimize doing it again. Everytime I initialize the machine, the x and y zero points shift ever so slightly. So, when I need a reliable zero for repeat/multiple step jobs, I try to avoid powering my machine off specifically to avoid reinitializing the machine.

2 Likes

As the others above pointed out above the initialization is required at power on. You should never need to initialize until something catastrophic happens.

The new CM 635 still does initialization but not repeatedly go back to the BitSetter. It does if you change a bit in t he software or when starting a job or changing a bit during a job but they shortened the BitSetter cycle and eliminated excessive trips to the BitSetter

@CullenS pointed out reasons to power off for turning off/on the BitSetter. I have been told by people here on the forum that an SO4/3 does require a power cycle but the SO5 does not need a power cycle for turning the BitSetter on/off. On the SO3/4 turning the BitSetter on/off messes with the internal coordinate system and that is why you must power cycle the SO3/4 machines.

1 Like