Frustration is setting in, losing zero's

I’m using a 30 degree v bit for most of the game. A tapered bit for the peg hole and a 1/4" ball end mill for the chamfers. How can we share personal contact information?

Homework break in the middle of an all nighter: I had a thought related to the letters/numbers: be sure you are not limiting their depth if you are using a v carve tool path. The largest letters ( the HOME / VISITORS in the bottom section of the board) will not v carve deeper than 0.15-0.2 inch by nature of the v carve with a 30 degree bit (assuming the SVG imported true for me). If your board is thicker than that you should be safe. Limiting the depth will impact the results. There may also be an issue related to the svg/fonts ( I see alot of straight lines in the tool path when I expect curves) but I will have to look more into this when I have a few less deadlines to meet.The remainder of the board ( not letters, numbers, or holes) do not need or benefit much from a v carve tool path. I have removed all offsets from these elements and would cut them as a single contour with no offset at whatever depth preferred but using the 30 degree v bit. If the look was acceptable, I would also try chamfering the holes with the same 30 degree v bit at a depth determined by trial and error. This may speed up the entire process. A bit expensive, but MDO or something similar , spraybombed and then carved might push it to a higher level. But, just like a birdhouse, the end users may not really care. I recall getting handmade gifts from my grandfather 50 + yr ago. They were very simple but I remember them well and I still have them in a box.Thank you grandpa.

2 Likes

Do you have the vacuum hose grounded? I had the same problem when I first put the Sweepy on mine with shop vac. would v-carve with no problem but when cutting profile or heavier cuts would start and cut first pass fine and then somewhere in second wander off or go wild.
Spent a lot of time checking things to no avail and finally unhooked the shop vac and tried running same toolpaths and cut perfectly, hooked the hose back and went too the same problem.
I now have a copper wire wrapped around hose and tied to a good ground with no problem so far. M Maybe not your cure but worth checking.

1 Like

Some good information Roland, thanks. I was cutting yesterday and again heard some unusual noises so I stopped. I disconnected the vacuum and did some rapid movements and readjusted the Y belts some. I would do several rapid movements all over the place and then send the router to the current XY and Z zero position. I can’t get the Y axis to repeat, but the X and Z are good. I made an indentation on my stock so I could tell for sure. After some time I thought that I had it and started the job again. After setting the tool length, I turned it on and right off the bat I got uneven movements. I will work on it again today.

For Y-axis problems on a belt-drive machine, once one has verified the mechanicals (belt/condition, pulley set screws/pulleys) and wiring/connectors, power down and remove both Y-axis belts, put a bit of tape on the pulleys (so as to more easily see their rotation), then power up and connect to the machine and try initializing — the machine should home the Z-axis as normal, then try to initialize X- and Y-axes — the X-axis should home as normal, while the Y-axis motors should turn until they time out — do they turn evenly and in synch?

Power down and re-install the belts, swapping them side-for-side and end-for-end.

Let us know what you find out at support@carbide3d.com

Thanks William, I will give that a shot. But I do have a question, when installing the Y belts, what is the best position for the gantry? I always try to have it somewhat centered.

Yes, starting with it centered is what is described in the manual.

I like to also slowly/gently move it close to each end, power it up for a bit, and hold it there while tensioning the belts — the shorter length seems to make that a bit easier.

1 Like

I had a session today with a support technician and we did a few things. What it comes down to, is a couple of things. He had me erase a file on Carbide Motion because he saw some strange things. The other thing is, the stepper motor on the Y axis left is having some issues. A replacement is coming my way, I just hope that it comes fairly fast so I can finish up some Christmas gifts. I have until the 30th to get them completed so I’m hopeful. I’ll let everyone know what happens when the new motor gets installed and run a few projects. Again, I would like to thank everyone that offered me advice and suggestions, I really appreciated it. Merry Christmas to all.

2 Likes

And here is a redrawn baseball game .svg file. I have not tried to cut it but I would only use v carve tool paths for the letters and numbers. You could fancy it up by pocketing the infield and or players etc. A lot of realigning and replacing stretched elements. Mainly a personal exercise in the use of CC with a result which may be of use to others. Cheers.
baseball2

3 Likes

Thanks Bozo, it looks really good.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.