Inspired by these videos from Micheal Alm, I decided to experiment with some scrap plywood that I had on-hand. I was really pleased with the results and can’t wait to try out some additional patterns using some nicer Baltic Birch plywood.
More photos available in this gallery. Here’s how I made this:
- Cut the plywood into strips with my table saw set at 60 degrees,
- Glue together three of these to make hexagonal columns,
- Cut the columns into uniform thickness discs,
- Arrange and glue these together to create a board with the hexagonal pattern,
- Plane this down on both sides, using my thickness planer,
- Cut out the dish using my CNC,
- Sand and coat with a finishing wax
Hope you enjoy!