Fusion 360 Not letting me combine tool paths with same tool

Perhaps a better approach would be to have cncjs updated so that it handles arbitrarily long comments?

We’ve been working to get Carbide Motion set up so that it handles arbitrary comments without troubling Grbl with them.

1 Like

@DanSexton, can you try this one?
grblFerreri_TEST.zip (5.4 KB)

1 Like

That did it, the line is gone. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great! :grinning:

@Griff, you’re off the hook.

Where might one obtain your sender from normally?

1 Like

Haven’t used F360 since last month on my xPro v4 using CNCjs.

Happy to also confirm the new sender works. When I tried the old one…nothing.

Again, thank you Neil.

1 Like

(here)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

2 Likes

These two issues caused me a bit of frustration. The long text code was apparent because CNCjs would never get past line 6. Then the drill op would come up, make some spots, then throw a unspecified feed code. Walking to shop, back to office, back to shop… over and over. With today’s update, everything seems to work fine. The lack of M6 commands proved a bit irritating on things I’ve grown accustom to using them on. On the fence about buying a license, my gut tells me to look elsewhere.

The post on the Autodesk forums in response to the bug report of the F0 on drilling says;

We pushed out an update today that addresses this issue in addition to a couple others that were plaguing the Personal Entitlement community. Terribly sorry for the significant inconvenience that these particular issues caused.

Issues fixed:

1) G1 F0. feedrates on drilling toolpaths.

2) Too long “rapid reduced” comment

3) Correct feedrates not being posted for plasma/laser

2 Likes

“plaguing the Personal Entitlement community, Terribly sorry for the significant inconvenience that these particular issues caused”. Seems a little less than contrite? ha

1 Like

Not the best choice of words to describe those with a personal license.

5 Likes

Interesting, I didn’t read it that way.

To me an entitlement is an attribute you add to a license to enable a specific product or feature for the holder of that license.

I’ve used that word about my users in the past and a few of the common security libraries that help implement these features use the word too.

1 Like

The statement in whole. A singular word did not occur to me.

I don’t mean to sound entitled or anything but I find the lack of rapid moves to be more irritating than I thought it would be.

Here’s a prediction: within a month, half a dozen scripts/programs around the world will have been implemented to hack the rapids back into the G-code files, one of them being well on its way here on the forum, and someone mentioned another one elsewhere already. And then if the Autodesk people have not lost all common sense, they’ll put rapids back in for hobbyists as a grand “we listened to the community” gesture. Rapids are hardly a pro feature, I have (naive) hope that they’ll come to their senses.

4 Likes

Indeed,

I see the reasoning behind trying to separate hobbyist from commercial users who don’t want to pay. There are real and valid business issues from the additional operating and support costs of the cloud platform and software streaming which was not present in the previous distribution model (leaving aside the Autodesk history of price-gouging). The problem is that the product was not designed to effectively separate these types of use and so it is now hard to retrofit such a distinction.

This has left the Fusion team removing features that ended up on the “pro” side of the whiteboard from the free and affordable licenses and then trying to bodge enough “friction” into the use of the free product that freeloaders who are running a business will pay up.

I will be very interested to see if this works. The freeloaders are, I suspect, quite likely to find and use the workaround tools written by the disadvantaged hobbyists. It is frequently a stubborn mind set which is quite prepared to put in more work to not pay (but not to contribute to a community effort).

It’s a difficult problem for the Fusion team and I do not know what a sensible answer is for them (again, making a distinction between the dev team and the senior decision makers).

4 Likes

All F360 files are in the cloud, and this is the age of AI. If Google/Youtube/all social media sites can know everything about us with their algorithms, I would be very, very surprised if it were difficult for Autodesk to just parse F360 user files to find “Personal Use” users working on business-oriented projects (hundreds of files, hundreds of components, multiple people collaborating on a single projects, exports to plans, etc…). Sure, they might miss the one-person CNC shop owner who sells stuff, but who cares…they’re after freeloading companies, not individuals (I would think).

1 Like

Indeed, and they may well try to do this but it has some issues, unless there are some reasonably clear metrics that could be parsed and then explained to users around numbers of projects, size of machining jobs etc.

I suspect this is the first attempt at putting a finger in the dyke, it may or may not work, thus my concern about future actions that may be even worse for hobbyist users.

From the various explanations I think they’re after the “one man shops” too who are running small businesses laser cutting or CNC machining on one or two machines, these should be easier to spot however by volume of imports and files.

1 Like

Should probably also say, I had simply assumed that part of the cloud storage deal was that Autodesk would be able to snoop on how I was actually using the tool

This topic was automatically closed after 10 days. New replies are no longer allowed.