Fusion 360 Post Process To Carbide Motion (Z-Axis is taller than actual model and does not cut the stock)

Issue:
Uploading the .NC file into Carbide Motion, the program dimensions do not match the stock or model dimensions. I am assuming the program dimensions is of what is being cut.

I have been transitioning to designing into fusion 360, and reached my limits with carbide create. I am familiar with Design, and have followed videos to try an get a simple pocket cut out of a rectangle of wood with Fusion Manufacture. Nothing complicated.

Shapeoko 5 pro
Fusion 360 Personal

Model Stock: (x)9in , (y)3in , (z) 0.246in
Pocket tool path into stock: (z) -0.1 cut

The program z dimensions shown in Carbide Motion are way off.
Fusion 360 Stock z = 0.246in
Carbide Motion z approx. = 0.86in (This number might be slightly off because I am not hooked up to my machine right now)

After running the program anyways, it only cut air and did not reach the Stock surface.

Since I am not a new user I can not add more than one media file, I have all screenshots of my Setup, Toolpath, and Post Process.

Screeshots.zip (373.2 KB)

1 Like

The program dimensions are the envelope (extents) of the tool motion, not the model.
If you look in the g-code file & find the lowest & highest values for each axis & subtract the difference, that is the toolpath envelope. The Z value will include the deepest point (-0.1) to the highest point (Your retracts).

1 Like

If you export the Fusion 360 project and zip the f3d file that can be attached to the forum here for us to take a look and see if we can see what’s up.

Thank you for helping out! Sorry for the delay.

Here is the file, please let me know if you see anything odd.

Fusion Test SL.zip (97.1 KB)

I don’t see any issue with the model or the toolpath in the CAM.

How exactly did you zero the X,Y,Z for the job on the machine?

1 Like

I used the xyz bitzero pad from carbide3d. Goes in the hole, finds the 4 edges, then touches the top for z.

1 Like

Can you share the gcode after post processing (what post processor are you using, for completeness)?
As @Tod1d mentioned, your toolpaths are the only thing Motion interprets. It has no idea and it doesn’t need to know how thick your stock is.

I think this should be 0.68in? Total = 0.4in (Clearance) + 0.2in (Retract) + 0.1in (Pocket Depth) - 0.02in (Axial Stock to Leave) = 0.68in

Did you let the program run completely?
As @LiamN said, this sounds like a zeroing issue. Try setting Z-zero by eye or paper method. Again you could put any thickness of stock on the machine, and if Z-zero is correct, it’ll cut 0.08in into it.

First time I ran it all the way through the program and it went right to the top of the stock and did no cutting.

I started over yesterday and reprobed with the pad. It works just fine now. So probing/zero was the issue as you guys mentioned.

Thank you for all the knowledge and help everyone, I really appreciate it and am glad there is a community that helps each other.

2 Likes

One thing that can easily go wrong is placing the bitzero, when zeroing x, y & z you put the flanges over the edge of the stock and the probe for Z uses the lower height, when probing only Z you put the flanges on top of the stock and the probe uses the larger height.

It can be useful to use the rapid move to “current XY” and then “Z + 6mm” to visually check that everything is set the way you think it is.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.