Hi All,

this is my first post… :grinning:

first a little bit of context.
current machine, Shapeoko5 4x2 with the Carbide3D VFD
Computer, M1 Mac Mini

prior experience.
Nomad 883

now my story,
I have been enjoying the Shapoko5, it is working well with the bundled software. It is now time to move past 2.5D and try programming with Fusion 360. a few years ago i was doing this successfully, programming with Fusion 360 for the Nomad, even using the raspberry Pi for carbide motion.

now i must be doing something wrong with the post in F360, the motion control is fine but the VFD is not starting. i pulled the carbide3d post from the autodesk website.

the VFD is running fine when i program in Carbide Create. the main difference i see is the format of the M3 command.
CC writes it “M3S1600”
F360 as “S1600 M3”

i tried editing this line in a text editor but the VFD still didn’t start.

Do you all have any suggestions?

Hmm, first thought is, what is the minimum speed of your spindle?
I think GRBL needs at least 50% to turn the spindle on.
So try something like 8000 RPM

5 Likes

Tod wins,
I have now miss typed the rpm multiple times, i intended to type 16000.
once i added the 0 it runs with either format, the speed before the M3 and the speed after the M3.

thanks Tod,

5 Likes

Yeah, those zeros are important on the front as well. Turns out there is a real difference between .2 and .02 :joy:

For some reason I end up putting …25 or something like that for max depth all the time as well. That seems to translate to 0 so I end up with empty tool paths. Happens more than I want to admit. Need to pay more attention.

3 Likes

:joy: yep…my machine tends to do exactly what I tell it to do…which translates to plunging head first into a cut that I mistakenly inputted. I double check everything now and take extra time.

1 Like

This does come in handy when programming drag knife/etching paths. Just set the rpm to less than 50% of the minimum speed, and it won’t turn on. (I usually use 1 RPM. I forget if it will accept 0?)

This topic was automatically closed after 10 days. New replies are no longer allowed.