Fusion 360 > Shapeoko 5 Pro mystery

Hi all,

Been doing some test cuts on my new Shapeoko 5 Pro and I’ve got a fusion 360 licence already, so it’d be great to get it working for all the other things I design in it (eg 3d prints).

I was just doing a simple test cut to assess accuracy for panels and I’ve got a strange result that I can’t quite figure out, so I’d appreciate any sleuths to help me know where to look.

I’ve made a simple file with some cut outs to fit 18mm plywood:

I’ve moved this into Fusion 360:

And generated the toolpaths:

When I cut this on my CNC, I got the following (I’ve overlaid the fusion sketch dimensions for reference):

Width: 200mm Result: 200mm
Height: 100mm Result: 100mm
Pocket 1: 18mm Result: 21mm
Pocket 2: 18mm Result: 25mm
Pocket 3: 18mm Result: 20mm
Pocket 4: 18mm Result: 17mm

As you can see - the outer dimensions are perfect, like digital caliper perfect - so I don’t think there’s any issue with the CNC being spot on.

But the inner pockets are just weird!! It’s just totally inconsistent, so I can’t work out what’s causing it - bit size is correct, it just seems to be a bit bonkers…

Any help/clues most appreciated - I’m certain it’s something stupid I’m doing!

Your toolpaths are not cutting tangent to the inner boundaries.

1 Like

It was fusion struggling with multiple bodies - merging them solved the problem!

3 Likes

It should handle multiple bodies without issue. It should just be a matter of choosing your toolpath boundaries.

2 Likes

Agree! Been using Vectric Aspire for a while and took it for granted!

Easy enough to workaround regardless!

2 Likes

Have had similar problems in the past with F360 where the toolpath will blow through some random part of the model like it wasn’t there. The grey on the simulation and the toolpaths going straight into the solid is indicating that. To my recollection it is the Adaptive toolpath that likes to do that. Merging bodies does seem to help but I do try to keep an eye out for toolpaths that mysteriously disappear into a solid on the simulation!

When I’ve had that issue, unchecking the option to “keep tool down” in the far right tab of the toolpath menu usually solved it.