Fusion 360 slicer fun [reborn]

Disclaimer: this is old news, I initially posted this in the community challenge #8 thread, but since it was wiped out in the unfortunate server event last week, I’m recreating that post albeit with less comments. This is about using the Fusion360 slicer add-in to generate 2D slices from a 3D model.

Step 1: create something 3D. If you never had a chance to try Fusion360’s “Form” features, go and have a look, it’s quite interesting and easy to use (well for making random surfaces it is…)

Step 2: turn the 3D surface into a 3D solid object, using the “Boundary Fill” function and an enclosing box:

Which gives this:

Step 3: Launch the Slicer add-in and slice to your heart’s content, then export the slices to an SVG or DXF file:

Step 4: import the vector in CAD:

Step 5: find the most beaten piece of acrylic you have in your garage:

Step 6: go get those O-flute cutters. They love plastics.

Step 7: pick reasonable feeds and speeds :
04_cutout_feeds_and_speeds

and cut a test piece, make sure you end up with nice curly chips:

Step 8: use your favorite workholding method even though it’s not really adequate:

Step 9: cut and label the pieces before removing them…

Step 10: be happy you labeled the pieces, unless you like puzzles:

Step 11: sacrifice a serving board from your favorite supplier of cheap exotic wood:

Step 12: practice subtractive manufacturing:

Step 13: take a moment to appreciate the fine cuts one can pull off with a Shapeoko

Step 14: sacrifice a spare LED strip and practice soldering, to make a pretend LED matrix:

Step 15: assemble the final piece. Break those fine slots a couple of times, glue them back on, nobody will know:

Step 16: enjoy some LED time

Step 17: figure out where to store this thing, which your wife says does not belong in the living room.

23 Likes

Thanks for reposting!

1 Like

:rofl:

2 Likes

Excellent. Thank you for sharing your art and your experience.

1 Like

Thats great… now I know what you do in between looking after us !!

1 Like

Wow. That is something for sure. If she doesn’t want it in her living room, I’d be glad to put it in mine! LOL I’m sure you’ll find the best home for it. Nice job!