G-Penny 800W Spindle Upgrade on S3XL

there’s youtube videos of anodizing at home but… chemicals :wink:

the el-cheapo way would be something like https://smile.amazon.com/DIYAH-Inches-Adhesive-Headlight-Lights/dp/B01N0Z58OH

3 Likes

Looks great Gary. Adding angle iron is exactly what I did as well for the Drag Chains. I also used some zip ties along the first link that really work well to keep the drag chain from lifting.

5 Likes

fwiw https://www.etsy.com/listing/721760110/x-axis-drag-chain-brackets-for-shapeoko has been nice for me but I’m not (yet) able to bend metal to my will :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think it’s awesome that you’re doing this - thank you! :star_struck:
The added weight suggests that it may really be able to provide 800 Watts of cutting power (more than twice that of the Dewalt). Did you get any specifications or performance curves for it? Maybe take and post a picture of its label? I think that properly sized stiffer Z axis spindle lift springs (if available) should make it fully compatible with stock Shapeokos.

2 Likes
  • Brand Name: G-PENNY MACHINE
  • Maximum Torque: 0.32Nm
  • Drive: Motor
  • Model Number: 220v 800w ER11 water cooled spindle
  • Application: Milling
  • Operating Speed: 0-24000rpm
  • Size: 65x195mm (65mm diameter)
  • Voltage: 220v (If you need 380v,please tell us)
  • Current: 4A
  • Power: 800w (0.8kw (1HP=735W))
  • Cooling: Water cooled
  • Bearing Type: 2x 7002C P4 DT & 2x 7000C P4 DT
  • Collet: ER11
  • Frequency: 400Hz
  • Lubrication: Grease
  • Collet Range: 1-7mm (Including 1/8,1/4 )

Is Torque what you’re looking for? Oh, the important spec is ‘it’s blue’ LOL

3 Likes

Yup - apparently G-Penny’s spindles, unlike Jianken’s, are realistically rated. Maybe @Luke should change his HDZ anodizing to match? :wink: @Julien verified that the runout on his 2200 Watt version was as advertised too! The calculated maximum torque for that 2200 Watt unit matches that of the “2500 Watt” Jianken in the linked video. IMO the 800 Watt 110 Volt version would be a great spindle upgrade for US Shapeoko users at a fraction of the cost of European spindles.

Festool fans and others with deep pockets might prefer a Mechatron spindle. “The price for our spindle HFP-6508-60-ER11 is 2358€ and the delivery time is approximately about 2 weeks.” But it’s capable of at least 700 Watts of continuous cutting power from 22 - 60 kHz! So, it would be really nice for high speed aluminum milling (@Vince.Fab). Larger units with and without ATC are also available.

2020-01-02 Update: Mechatron also offers constant torque type spindles in both their professional and standard series. A 800 Watt 24,000 RPM constant torque spindle (like @wb9tpg’s) would only provide 400 Watts at 12,000 RPM (and hence half the material removal rate (MRR) at that speed). But limiting spindle torque limits machine forces - that’s a good thing for safety, performance, and machine protection. Those with monster spindles (like @Julien) might even want to consider limiting their torques to “safer” levels with their VFDs. Note that, unlike HF spindles, routers don’t try to limit torque when cutting loads increases. Their stall torques can be as high as 10 times their operating torque. Those who have crashed their routers know how much damage that can do!

Note that the specified maximum fluid temperatures for their liquid cooled spindles is 35C. Do you plan on using a CW-3000 or CW-5000 for cooling?

4 Likes

No; I have a PC Cooler I’m going to try. I’m starting with a smaller reservoir and will upgrade as I see the need to. I’m in a holding pattern waiting on the spindle power cable which is due early next week

1 Like

I have HF 800 watt 110v, can’t believe how quiet it is. It’s not installed yet, still trying to figure out the water situation.

I will be interested to see how you wire it up to the controller.

LOL - the VFD to spindle power cable I ordered came today. It’s doesn’t fit and the pinout looks like it’s different. I’ve messaged by cable supplier and we’ll see how that goes.

The connector on the cable is larger than the connector on the spindle.

No suitable cable came with the spindle and/or VFD?

Nope - they just supplied a connector which fits. It looks like there is some variation in the 4 pin connectors across the 800W to the larger spindles.

Not only is the connector a different size; the pinout is different.

I’m wondering if I can get a connector like they use on the larger spindle and change the connector on the spindle myself.

If you have a connector that fits, why not just use four wire cable and solder (assuming solder vs screw) to the connector. VFD connection is bare wire to screw connection…

The 16/4 cable assembly I purchased already has an end soldered on it. Even if I took it off; the cable itself not fit into the new smaller connector body. Plus the solder cups in the new connector won’t accept 16 ga wire.

So I’m looking around for 18/4 shielded cable with a drain wire. I’m going to verify 18 ga fits into the solder cups before ordering the cable.

My leading candidate so far is
http://www.onestopbuy.com/wire-cable/A21804-41567.asp

Just curious and 16g would be big. And unusable if connector is smaller than wire. 18g is fine, if it fits…

Ouch, 75 ft minimum? Have you checked with any local suppliers? I’ve even seen some shielded at orange or blue big box…

Going to take a look at that stuff at HomeDepot tomorrow. I want something with 600V insulation rating if I can get it.

Assuming you can’t get your money back for that cable and that it has a braded rather than foil shield (like your other “leading candidate”), why not cut the connector off, strip the jacket off the cable, and if the 4 individual insulated wires fit the spindle connector’s backshell, cut off however many wire strands are necessary to fit the connectors solder cups? If the individual wires don’t fit the backshell, you can splice smaller gauge pigtails to them that fit everything.

I have to chime in on this idea and highly suggest you not do this kind of patching. Anywhere.

2 Likes

The supplier will take the cable back so I won’t take it apart

Found a great alternative for the cable by the foot. The last one was 18 AWG (7 strands of 26 AWG) and this new one is 18 AWG (16 strands of 30 gauge). Definitely more flexible and they have a 20 ft minimum. I may order $50 worth (about ~50ft) to hit the free shipping and do the stepper cables as well. The cable is rated for 600v which is what I wanted and the diameter is perfect for the connector on the 800W spindle.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/cables/bulk_multi-conductor_cable/flexible_control_cable/18_awg_shielded/mctc-18-4s-1

4 Likes