Going from digital to physical and staying the same size

I completely see what youre doing and it makes all the sense in the world. but ive got a problem right off the bat. im running affinity on an iPad, I can’t see why this would create an issue but im wondering if it is. im going to send you a video that shows me fussing with stroke size and then making the line. you can see im in a 24 inch grid and that the .25 inch/18pt line created isn’t a full quarter inch. I think thats where my first problem starts. can you see how I’m ending up with a line so much smaller than .25? is it that im using the pencil and not the pen? yep. hold on one second, I didn’t go back and edit this response so you can see my thought process here. it appears that when I do all the same work with the pen tool everything comes up exactly the same as yours. same when I use the brush. pencil just throws the whole thing off. can’t figure that out at all.

heres the link so you can see what I was doing with the pencil and heres a screen shot of how brush and pen work exactly like all you guys have been showing me. thanks a bunch. now im off to figure out why the pencil behaves so much differently than the brush and pen when set at the same size.

I would suggest contacting Serif support.

The usual work-around for dimension issues is to draw a box of a known dimension around everything and then select everything, including the box, and scale to that size on import.

I might do that. but for now im really glad that I was able to find the issue here. so lets see if this works. ok. this is what ive come up with. heres everything from start to finish.

I create this file
Untitled 2

from there I drop it into CC and I get this

this seems right to me. yet it leads me to another question. in CC is there any way to see your “drawing” in the full size lines they’re in when viewed in AI or Affinity? or do you really only see whats going on in the simulation because its at that point you’ve given your paths width and depth? when I looked at your examples they were single lines like how I finally figured out how to do. is that what the design process looks like in CC? so I did some tinkering and found some curious stuff…at least to me.

what I found is that you make another shape in affinity designer and then expand the stroke it “looks” right in CC but is going to cut like this one. here

this screen shot below shows in CC the design look similar in aesthetic as it does in Affinity

so if im understanding this correctly…when working in CC youre really only seeing a bunch of single lines, not the actual design you did in your AI or Affinity? thanks for dealing with all of these questions. it seems to me that the expanded stroke process makes a whole different milling process, and the single line that makes the proper milling process makes a very different design process? is this correct. could you show me a file you’ve created in AI or Affinity so I can see how its supposed to look and what all you folks are workin with? thanks again

and heres some gcode to see if I could be doing it any differntly

linesample555.nc (74.8 KB)

For a closed path, use a smaller tool and cut inside.

makes sense. ill give it a go now. thanks.
so a closed path allows me to see the path and stroke in CC the same way I do in Affinity, but it just uses a smaller bit and about 50% more time?

Something like that.

Adjusting the endmill size and toolpaths may help.

thanks a bunch. something to tinker with.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.