Got a free 3d printer.. Need some software help

Hey everyone!
Recently I acquired a Flash Forge Creator Original? (wood case) for free. I would love to get it up and running so I can make a couple mods for my Shapeoko. Everything heats up and calibrates successfully when leveling the bed, etc; and the machine only has 170 hrs on it. My problem is finding a software that is nice for a slicer and sending “.x3g” files to the printer. With so many people on the forum having 3d printers, I am assuming someone can point me to the correct software so I can start trying to print.
The software that I have been looking at:
ReplicatorG which the manual says to use but it looked like it hasn’t been updated since 2012.
Simplify3D looks like it should work but 150$ which isn’t bad but would like a recommendation first.
Flashprint which is made/maintained by Flash Forge but it doesn’t want to connect to my machine when hooked up via the USB cable; pretty sure it is just too old… :slight_smile:
I have also heard of people making gcode files and then using GPX software to transform the gcode to x3g file and would also like an opinion on that, but I see it as too much of a hassle and would like a better more streamlined workflow.
Thanks everyone!

1 Like

I use Prusa Slicer (free) and love it, and it seems like it could work with your Flashforge:
https://www.dr-lex.be/software/ffcp-slic3r-profiles.html

2 Likes

I will second @Julien’s recommendation. I got my i3MK3S at the first of the year and Prusa Slicer has never let me down. Many mods to my workshop when I could not use my XXL.

1 Like

Dual extruder? For a super simple option, I have an older version of MakerBot software that I use to run Replicator 2s and a few flashforge creator pros. They print very well. I’ll get you the file later, though.

Agree with most here, don’t buy a slicer program. I use repetier and several different slicers can be used with it.

After a little bit of trial and error I did get FlashPrint, Flashforge’s printer software, to work and connected to my little guy tonight. I do not know what the previous owned did but I think I need a new print platform sticker. Thanks for your recommendations! I am most likely going to try a couple of different slicers after I troubleshoot the first problems.

1 Like

I would also hit up https://old.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/ and see who might be able to point you in the right direction.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.