Graphite Milling Dust Boot

I am finally getting around to making the dust boot for milling graphite on my Nomad with the instructions/files on this forum. I have someone printing the parts for me. I’m a little vague about two things: does anyone know the size/kind of brush strip I need? The instructions mentioned it comes from McMaster Carr and I see a bunch on there. I’m in Canada so won’t be able to order from them anyways but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction for exactly what size/type to purchase and I can find it here.

Additionally, I was wondering about the hole in the plexi or wood for the hose to exit. Is there any sort of a large grommet or ring to keep the graphite dust from escaping there? I couldn’t quite tell in the photo. Or perhaps the hole is just the perfect diameter that the hose gets crammed through and fits snug?

Would love to hear if anyone has made this and any tips. A bit out of my wheelhouse as I know nothing about 3D printing so hoping it all comes together!

Thanks,
Kate

I am pretty sure that they are the narrower ones listed at:

though I wonder if static-control would be worth paying for:

Thanks for your help!

oh, one more thing. I have the file for that boot printed now and am just working on assembly. I noticed the bottom half of the boot interferes with the round spinny thingy that forces the air down. Do you just mill with the boot on and no spinny thingy?

The chip fan blows air down. The dust boot sucks air up. It is counterproductive to use them simultaneously.

Additionally, if you use the dust boot, you don’t need to perfectly seal your window. The vacuum is going to generate significant negative pressure in the Nomad. Air would only rush inwards from gaps around the door/hose, and from underneath the machine.

3 Likes

thank you so much! Ha, that makes total sense when you explain it. I really appreciate your response!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.