GRBL Error: The motion command has an invalid target

I was carving a file and got this error:

“GRBL Error: The motion command has an invalid target, G2, G3, and G38.2 generates this error, if the arc is impossible to generate or if the probe target is the current position.”

My CNC is a ShapeOko XXL, I made the file with V-Carve Desktop, and sent the G-Code to CNC using Carbide Create. I have carved this file before with no problems.
Suggestions Please.
Thanks,

If you have this problem w/ a G-Code file which you have sent successfully, then the problem most likely is a loss of communication.

You can check this by:

• power up and connecting to the machine
  • going to the MDI and sending $C to put the machine into Check Mode
  • loading and sending the file — the machine will process the file, but won’t move

if the file completes w/o error, then it’s fine and it was definitely a loss of USB communication — let us know about that at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll get it worked out w/ you.

When you say ‘carved this file before’ do you mean this design, or this exact GCode file?

If you’ve regenerated the GCode file since it last worked, see if you are exporting in inches or mm, and if inches try switching to mm.

The design of GRBL means that mm are inherently more precise than inches, simply because 1 mm is smaller than 1 inch.

1 Like

Thanks Will,
This was a “W” g-code for a noodle board that I was working on. I also had “S” and “B” so today I tried one of them and it worked good. Something must have happened to that g-code since I used it last time. I’ll make a new g-code for it and see what happens. Thanks for your time and effort.
Mudpuppy

Thanks Michael,
This was a “W” g-code for a noodle board that I was working on. I also had “S” and “B” so today I tried one of them and it worked good. Something must have happened to that g-code since I used it last time. I’ll make a new g-code for it and see what happens. Thanks for your time and effort.
Mudpuppy

What post processor?
Can you share the problem g-code?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.