GRBL G-code error

I was running a job (simple surfacing op generated in VCarve), and got this error in the GRBL console (in CNCjs):

G1X-0.8000Y-2.8914 (line=3161)
error:2 (Bad number format)

I can’t see what’s wrong, and looking at line 3161 in the g-code file, it looks absolutely normal and is in the middle of a bunch of very similar G1 moves:

It does not seem to be a control/hidden character on that line either, that line only has the normal carriage return / line feed like the others:

Any idea what can be causing this ?

Is this repeatable or possibly just a datacom glitch?

2 Likes

Good question. Actually, I ran this from CNCjs, the only effect was that the job paused, I clicked resume, and it proceed normally so I did not bother re-running the file. I have had this happen on a few different files quite randomly (and only a couple of times) recently, but I guess if it was a datacom issue, I would expect GRBL to not print the line correctly ? (i.e. the error output is from the GRBL console, so those correct values arrived in the controller without being corrupted). It is still possible that a comm glitch introduced a weird non-printable character I guess…

Agree with @DAH on this one. Did you try in check mode ($C)?

3 Likes

Good idea, I will try that

EDIT: I tried; and unsurprisingly the file executed with no error in check mode. I guess this was a transient comm error, mmh. Still puzzled how GRBL could have printed the correct line on its output console though. I’ll monitor the issue.

Today, I encountered a GRBL error message new to me:IMG_2057

I reinitiated the Shapeoko and reloaded the same file and it ran fine but there seem to be many odd GRBL issues reported recently.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.