Grounding Issue with water Cooled Spindle

I have Carbide Motion 428 newest release and now I am receiving errors when running jobs.
The file won’t load or the file will load and 1/2 way through the job it looses communication and throws errors. I cannot make it through a job completely and then I have to start over. The errors I get are:
Error 4: GRBL Error: Serial Port: Unknown
Error 5: GRBL Error: Serial Port: Not Open Error
Error 6: GRBL Error: Cannot Open Port For Cutter
I have a Shapeoko XXL and the difference I noticed with the new update was under settings it asked Size which mine is XXL and the “new” question
Shapeoko Z-Axis which I set to Belt Drive and I did not check the Bitsetter Probe. Then I clicked send config data. My GRBL version is showing 1.1f
Should I go back and roll the installation of Carbide Motion back to an older version? This did not start until I upgraded as best I can tell. Also we upgraded our spindle to 2.2 kw water cooled, that is awesome if I could just keep the software from crashing. Any ideas are appreciated.
Thank you.

almost always these are EMI interference/static electricity issues.

maybe the most basic thing to check is to see if the ground on your new spindle is actually connected to the ‘casing’ of the spindle (basic ohm measurement with a volt/current/impedence meter will already tell you this)

2 Likes

I second @fenrus’s post.

Do check if your spindle body is grounded, many aren’t, I remember chosing a specific model specifically because I checked that they did ground the body internally. If it’s not, no big deal, you just have to open the top connector, and solder a wire between the 4th (EARTH) pin on the aviation connector, and somewhere inside the spindle body. Worst case, run a dedicated grounding wire from somwhere on the outside of the spindle body. There are many videos and links on this, here’s a random one with pics to illustrate the point.

I don’t think there is any direct link between whatever CM version one uses and the occurrence of disconnects, which happen at a much lower/electrical level by messing up with the USB communication between the computer and the shapeoko. If there is a link, it’s coincidental (e.g. a given release may send more commands at a given time, revealing a latent EMI robustness issue in the setup)

2 Likes

If anything, the link should be inverse — with newer versions on at least one instance the timeout for communication has been increased.

Things to try:

• reboot
  • patch machine with updates
  • create new user with administrative privileges

If these things don’t work, let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to work through this with you.

Once you’ve checked if the spindle is actually grounded try another USB, 6’ or less.

When I installed my spindle I added a new usb cable, 6’. Disconnects immediately, hadn’t seen this issue for 2 years. I plugged in my original usb, no more problems. Mine has a choke at each end.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.