Happy December 1st!

Thought I’d share a pic of the advant calendar i made for a family member. Just sort of made it up as i went along but i think it turned out well.

20 Likes

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Great looking job! I really like the top!
A question though. Are those little drawers or just plug-ins?

Thanks so much! I wanted to do proper drawers but ended up going with plugs because i knew i could do that pretty quickly with materials i had on hand. I might go back and do that when i have a little more time, my family member made the request last minute :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been working on a way to make drawer boxes easily on the machine — if you’ll let me know the dimensions of the drawer and the stock you wish to use I’ll gladly put it together for you — you’d just need to have suitable tooling (a narrow 90 degree V endmill and a square tool w/ the same diameter).

I was curious because most Advent Calendars have little pockets that usually hold some little item. I wondered if your pulls had boxes attached or not.
Either way I still like the design of your project!!!

Oh i should have mentioned i did make little pockets to hold a treat. In hindsight i would have made them a little bigger but it works well enough. A year ago i didnt know the first thing about cnc or woodworking so i’m proud of it.

7 Likes

Thanks for the offer Will, that would be great. I was trying to think of a way to do drawers on the machine but couldn’t settle on the best way to do it. The little pockets are 1’ x 1 ’ and the stock is 1.56’ thick.

There is a little Facebook competition for running over Christmas for a few bits and bobs.

I think you should enter this!

Great project

2 Likes

I think there’s a problem w/ the units there…

Assuming you mean 1" x 1" x 1.56" thick stock, the most expedient thing to do is to just make an open router box to glue to the drawer fronts, but I doubt the opening is 1.56" tall, so something like:

resulting in:

and having that open at the front, and insetting things so that it all fits together could make for an elegant construction — something like:

• Drawer front: thin stock w/ hole for dowel and number carved on it
  • Drawer backing: thin stock w hole for dowel, size to connect to the box
  • Drawer box w/ open front which accepts Drawer backing
  • dowel to connect Drawer front and backing

which is manageable in terms of part count/complexity — I’ll go ahead and draw up the tiny 1" x 1" x 1" drawer boxes, but I doubt that you would want to cut 125 drawer parts, plus 25 fronts — should be able to do this at lunch.

Thanks so much for letting me know about this, I just signed up for the group and will definitely enter the contest.

Thanks Will, you did interpret my measurements correctly. Sorry for the confusion. I made the little pockets 1 inch by 1 inch going about 1.2" into the stock. I made the doors so they can be popped on and off but i think some type of drawer would be a little nicer.

1 Like

How much of the fronts stick into the pockets?

Chris H = Now that is a really neat idea! Easy to open to stash the treats and for the kids to get into to retrieve those. I think these pockets are better than small drawers. You should be proud of your Project!!! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated!

The doors stick .1" into the pockets.

1 Like

Okay, so the profile that the drawers will be fitting into looks to be something like:

So the drawer boxes should be:

3/4" high and 1" x 1" .

Draw up the 4 panels:

and it should obviously be done in 1/8" thick stock, which is too small for actually cutting joints into, so instead, just do a mitered box as shown at:

Thanks for working that up, i appreciate it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.