Hard wax oil finish comparison

Thought some of us might also find this YT interesting. I found it while researching the General Finishes product. Guess I’m behind the times but I’ve never used hard wax oil finishes, never too old to learn new stuff though.

I made a memorial plaque for a friend back at Thanksgiving. He wanted me to use Osmo Hard Wax oil. The product made the rosewood look quite nice but it tool over a week before the Osmo was no longer sticky. I have never used Odie’s Oil but many turners do not like Odie’s Oil because of the sticky problems and long curing times. Some people on YT have also criticized Rubio one coat products that do not really cover in one coat. Plus Rubio is quite expensive. The Osmo is also quite expensive.

Some locations in the US restrict Volotile Organic Compounds (VOC) content like California and some of these products are not available there. In those places water based products are you only choices. The Minwax PolyAcrylic is a good alternative to oil based products. Use the sealer and sand the project because water based products tend to raise the grain on the first or second coat.

1 Like