Hardcore Aluminum milling on an S3

@The_real_janderson its been a blast to push that teeny spindle and figure out how to cam smoother.

I still have the brushless but it has a little less power and these days I’m pushing the corded rt701c pretty hard. I still have plans for it…

@BartK I’m hoping the 1.2kw has enough tq lol. It’s the Best vfd so a converter looks to be the ticket although I don’t have a problem with manual operation. Thanks for the info! Before the kit arrives I need to figure out the Y linear replacements, that’s the final ridgidity upgrade and should help really push higher loads.

Scratch built seems tempting but so much work. But 5 axis…

2 Likes

Hopefully someone here will correct me, but by supplying 5v max you should get half of the rpms, therefore increasing your max spindle rpm setting in grbl to 120k would allow you to achieve desired spindle speed by scaling pwm signal. The trick however would be to always remember to double the spindle rpm settings and it might get confusing sometimes. Also don’t know if grbl has max rpm limit and what would be the quality of the signal.

Having spent last 3months building my own cnc, I admit it’s a steep learning curve. It’s way more than just cutting symmetrical plates and making sure everything is square. But after grasping most of ins and outs of designing a motion control system next time should be a breeze. And like you said, it’s so cool to have a robot that can make parts for your other robots.

1 Like

Should be interesting to play with the spindle, can’t wait to hear it spool up! I would like to do it right instead of just adjusting in cam. Chipload from 30k to 60k is a little different lol, hate to make mistakes.

You should put up a thread on your build! If your machine was a car, what would it be? Thoughts on spring double nuts or geared rotating ball nuts?

Me today would beat me yesturday so bad. The best competition. Its been awhile since im been this mentality invested into a project… and it feels fantastic!

9 Likes

As always, love seeing the bright shiny results!

Can’t wait to see some video of a 60k spindle doing its stuff.

1 Like

El Spoolito has arrived

3 Likes

Well, it looks impressive.

Keep us posted on progress.

1 Like

@Vince.Fab I’ve got a BEST vfd simliar to yours - if you want to get the spindle ON/OFF and speed control working you’ll need to buy something like this:

(item number 1 — 0-5PWM to 0-10v

Hitching the whole thing up to the Carbide controller isn’t that hard - but it is a bit different to setup as compared to the instructions Mr Beaver posted some time ago, as the controller codes are different.

Let me know if you need a hand and I can walk you through it.

2 Likes

Muaaa Haaaa Haaaa.

“And now Pinky, we Take Over the World…!”

[cue evil laughter]

2 Likes

Maybe the new spindle should be under a separate thread and keep this one for the beautiful creations of Master Vince.

1 Like

@3DGG would you mind posting instructions on how to wire the VFD to the control board? Maybe a write up similar to what Luke did in a 2.2kw spindle thread? I have a feeling that these spindles might become fairly popular and it would certainly help :wink:

1 Like

It looks like you’ll need a 220V circuit (rather than a 110V - 220 V step-up transformer) to get full power out of it. Did/will you measure runout and noise levels vs speed?

I’ll try to put something together - likely have to wait till the weekend to get a bit of time.

2 Likes

Any help would be much appreciated. Scheduled to get the 4 prong plugs today and was going might try to setup the vfd. Would you be able to provide vfd settings? A few guys were asking me about that and it would be awesome to have a some info to provide.

One guy in particular is having cooling issues but hes using it as a spindle addition to a large cnc.

I did research in this forum about the converter but imo just on/off would be perfect for right now. I’ll pick one of those up either way.

Thank you for the help sir!

Did a quick runnout check
0.0007 in the bore
0.0009 with 0.125 endmill and supplied collet
0.0001 after run out adjustment

I’ll check the bore and research on anything I can do to make it a little better. Vibration is going to be a huge thing in the future and a way to measure and log it for different endmills would be the ticket.

2 Likes

I’ll do my best to provide some info.

It’s not super complicated - I don’t really know what I’m doing, and it took just a bit of screwing around with the VFD settings (most are left at default) to get the thing to fire up.

I’ll write down the settings as I have them so you could use that as a starting point.

Re the ON/OFF and speed control - I understand you like to tweak the speed manually - do what works for you. Having the auto on/off gives you speed control as well, but I’m pretty sure you can overide the initial speed setting once the machine is underway just by turning the knob on the VFD to give it more juice (but I’ve never tried!).

My next step is to build an arduino based controller to turn on my coolant pump and vacuum automatically. Just need to find some time…

1 Like

Sorry - I forgot to mention…

Make sure you ground the spindle body when you are wiring up the plugs. I just connected up the shielding wire sheath to the plug body (it was metallic) that attaches to the spindle motor, and grounded the other end at the Carbide controller box.

If you do this, then you can probe without the alligator clip to the bit.

Runnout is ~twice this claim which also shows the connection diagram. (If it rotates in the wrong direction, switch two of the three power leads.) Did you get a speed/torque curve similar to this? (That’s what’s required to set up/control the inverter properly.)

You should be able to measure relative vibration (and noise) levels using apps on your cell phone. (Those measurements are dependent on the performance of the accelerometer, audio system, and specific apps),

2 Likes

I’ll have to send them a message but honestly it’s not a huge deal breaker. The runnout is less than 1/2 of the Makita and by the looks of the wattage, about the same power of I’m reading it right. Also mine is a 1.2kw and that’s a 1kw.

Not sure on the TQ but hopefully its better. Nice experiment with sfm right.edit 0.49nm for the 1.2kw

Still have to get the right aviation plug and then wire the baby up. Also i feel like this info is relevant to the thread because it might totally change the machining style.

For vibration, a hard mounted sensor would be ideal I’m thinking

The JGD-62/1.0R60 data sheet shows that it is capable of 898 Watts (1.2 HP) of motor output power at 60,000 RPM - likely about twice that of your Makita,

They didn’t even provide the Plug?! Did they provide any documentation?

1 Like