Hardcore Aluminum milling on an S3

OG S3 fully upgraded and running great! Probably going to add a new base and two 6" vises.

Carbide Create Pro is pretty cool too! Photo to 3d machining easy peasy

6 Likes

OG? Not sure what that means.

1 Like

In my neck of the woods it stands for “Original Gangster”

It’s the first S3 I bought with MDF bed and drop mounted 6" vise

3 Likes

That does look like a really good challenge and I actually have a very simplified version of that in the works. A sports oriented prosthetic ankle/foot for a friend of mine.

One reason the S3s haven’t been running as much is because of the sheer difference in ridgidity seen in the Nomad and even the Bantam.

We are almost ready to move into the new shop and that requires $$$, which sucks because I don’t particularly like to whore out.

New projects coming, maaaaybe not robots but still cool.

No worries. If you’ve any interest in having a chat to the people working on that Open-Source Leg project, they’re friendly. Can put you in contact with them, or you can grab the contact details of their main person direct from the website (it’s in the footer of all their pages). :slight_smile:

Interestingly, was chatting about rigidity and vibration characteristics recently with a (very, very knowledgable) CNC builder veteran who used to work for SpaceX (creating CNC machines).

Apparently although rigidity is important, dampening vibrations is also critical. Hmmm, I’ll cut-n-paste what he wrote, as it was the first time it’s been explained in a way that sunk in (for me). Apologies for the wordiness:

He went on to explain:

Epoxy granite was mentioned as a good vibration dampening material for this purpose.

Maybe something to add to the upcoming things-to-try-out list? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m already sand filled on one, took about 20 pounds.

With a linear X I can actually see 0.001 height difference when facing in steps, probably due to the bearings on the delrin wheels.

8 Likes

6 Likes

How is the center made to make a bushing like the one Vince shows us?.

1 Like

To make a bushing out of solid stock I would use the other set of jaws to hold it on the outside well. Then run an adaptive clearing operation then bore to finish the inside.

Or buy a lathe! Lol

1 Like

How do you find the center of round stock like that on your Shapeoko in order to set the work origin?

1 Like

You can use all kinds of methods. The best way probably using as an indicator to indicate a bore center.

The fastest way ive done is using a center spotted plug and chucking up a v bit to find center. This usually requires some adjustment but is the most straightforward.

All work origins are set at top center on round objects

2 Likes

I will have to check out that method of the center spotting plug. I have no experience or knowledge of that.

1 Like

Basically machined a solid cylinder slice with a center reference hole. It pretty caveman

Im sure someone handy with coding could make a find circle center with inside/outside probing pretty easily.

3 Likes

jajajajajaj or a new 3D probe like your new spindle . The 3D probe it is necessary I say , all the time like this
https://www.usovo.de/shop/images/product_images/popup_images/542_1.jpg

https://www.usovo.de/shop/images/product_images/popup_images/542_2.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0683/0809/products/DSCF3696_1024x1024.jpg?v=1538492127

For me this is an old version of the market, we need speed, technology and more development by Carbide 3D, as you have shown in this community. I wish I could place one of these compatible with the Carbide 3D software or the MeshCam, but it seems that you can not.

@JustinClift
" He went on to explain:

Filling typical aluminum extrusions with a good vibration dampening
material can help a lot. Of course, that means the servos or steppers
driving the machine must get larger in order to handle the inertial loads.
What you gain is a massive improvement in vibration dampening.

Epoxy granite was mentioned as a good vibration dampening material for this purpose.

Maybe something to add to the upcoming things-to-try-out list? :slight_smile:"

I doubt that increasing the mass of the Shapeoko extrusions would help much. The source of most of their cutting vibrations is likely deflection the Z and X axis Delrin V-Wheels. Increasing the mass of the spindle and its mount should help though.:wink:

Mass achieved

6 Likes

Awesome! Standard X and Y axes steppers? Total added mass (weight) of spindle and its mount? Now the only V-Wheels are on the Y-axis?:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yup, all stock electronics, probably about 5-6lbs added with the spindle. And yes only wheels on the Y axis for now but this week hopefully will be completely linear

I love this thread everytime i look at it i go “right Alluminium you are going to get cut”… followed by “nope sycamore YOU ARE GETTING CUT” it will not be pretty and i will sure get it wrong but i feel i need to cut something other than wood and plastic lol :slight_smile: ohh wise thread tip me into the i can do it zone lol,

you are all building space station parts and i will start with name plates for the parts :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This mdf table is the lower performing of the two S3s. It moves like a damn spring sometimes

9 Likes