Hardcore Aluminum milling on an S3

Modvise by Saunders Machine Works

Doh, was hoping they were 3/8" not 1/4":frowning:

There’s a half inch mounting bolt version as well. Its surprising how well the 1/4 ones hold though.

Is your plate tapped for 3/8s?

Yeah, went with 3/8" as all my other holding tools are 3/8" from my milling machine.

@Vince.Fab

I am currently trying to locate, what you have installed in the router. A 1/4" pin that I can use for zeroing but I am having a hard time finding something precise online, what are you using?

Thanks for your time.

That’s actually a probe pin that came with a different machine but its shared.

Check into 0.250 Gage pins. They seem to be cheap and easy to find online.

2 Likes

@BLKKROW Under $6: HHIP 4103-0250 Replacement Pin Gage, P-1 (-0.0002) Tolerance, 0.25”

@WillAdams had suggested the pin in a different thread, and it’s been working out for me.

4 Likes

This video belongs here where it all started!

I look forward to more videos with the affordable end mills.

Keep up the great work sir.

7 Likes

@Vince.Fab
Question for you on using a probe with the aluminum fixture plate, do you have any issues with the circuit closing before the tool touches the plate due to the fixture plate being conductive, or is that a non issue because the tool bit is isolated enough in how its mounted in the spindle?

I actually isolate my controller from the frame so this isn’t much of an issue. There are times where you’ll get a false positive triggered but interestingly enough, just touching the plate while probing will eliminate it.

If you don’t want to do this, then using the non conductive V2 Probe is a solution.

@Vince.Fab
Did you remount the controller in a different location off of the machine?

Nope, just some sticky 0.125" closed cell in-between.

Ive left the machine on and idle for multiple days at a time to test for heat issues as well. Also with hours of hard cutting, no issues.

@Vince.Fab Good to know, that may change how I attack making a fixture plate for my Shapeoko. One more question for you, it seems as if you have some side panels added to your machine? How are those attached?

No problem.

3D printed plastic mounts that bolt into the OG feet locations. They really help with keeping the lower wheels from just riding in piles of shavings

This might be the greatest thread in the history of the internet. I just kept scrolling and reading. I ran out of coffee 30 minutes ago but couldn’t get up to go make more because I was so entranced! Great great content @Vince.Fab

2 Likes

Just FYI there is a curated selection of the greatest forum threads here:

6 Likes

Well there goes the rest of my morning…

2 Likes

Anybody remember this?

6 Likes

This thread lead to the start of my learning to cut Aluminum journey on my stock So3 and I’m grateful for every post in it as I still come back to it. I wonder how many sales this thread generated C3d? Because I wouldn’t have bought every So3 upgrade or an HDM to put in my shop had this never sparked my interest.

I miss Vince being more active here but rest easy knowing where this took him.

Plus I see Saunders added a vehicle lift to the new shop soooooo I am excited to see what car Vince makes cool parts for next now that his skills have tripled.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 11 days. New replies are no longer allowed.