Hardcore Aluminum milling on an S3

I’ll have to send them a message but honestly it’s not a huge deal breaker. The runnout is less than 1/2 of the Makita and by the looks of the wattage, about the same power of I’m reading it right. Also mine is a 1.2kw and that’s a 1kw.

Not sure on the TQ but hopefully its better. Nice experiment with sfm right.edit 0.49nm for the 1.2kw

Still have to get the right aviation plug and then wire the baby up. Also i feel like this info is relevant to the thread because it might totally change the machining style.

For vibration, a hard mounted sensor would be ideal I’m thinking

The JGD-62/1.0R60 data sheet shows that it is capable of 898 Watts (1.2 HP) of motor output power at 60,000 RPM - likely about twice that of your Makita,

They didn’t even provide the Plug?! Did they provide any documentation?

1 Like

Just got a Chinese vfd manual lol. @Griff found one for a better deal than I.

Tonight ran a two flute at 320ipm on this for the finishing pass. Really going to need some more rpms soon!

5 Likes

280ipm/0.040opt. Still could take more but I set this up as a rough/finish adaptive with 0.020 bull and walked away. Total time about 35 min per flange, 0.750 6061 plata

Tb flanges were made to fit a 65mm ported and 3d transition to 2.75" with a sweet weld chamfer

8 Likes

is it sexy or what!

How’s the progress on the spindle upgrade?

2 Likes

FYI - Here’s a source for 1/4 inch endmills rated for operation up to 100,000 RPM in Aluminum. (RPM = SFM X 3.82 / Diameter).

3 Likes

Pretty stoked when you can just plop down a piece ppg metal and come back to two parts! Thanks. Im still waiting on a spindle plug and a few other watercooler system things, not too rushed.

@gmack those look really nice, have any idea on price?

Looks like they’re $40-$50. They should last a while though since, based on the advertised speeds and feeds, you should be able to use significantly more cutter length, at least on your ruggedized machine.
FYI - This company has precision collets and collet nuts balanced to 70,000 RPM (Amazon sells them).

Maybe this is relevant to add here:

https://carbide3d.com/spotlight/vincefab/

14 Likes

ha, that was awesome! really dig the bus project @vince.fab

Typo alert: “In a small town south of Austin, Vince Ramirez greets each morning with a desire to crate”.

“crate” -> “create”. :wink:

Yeah it’s minor… but like… its PR material so should prob be fixed. :slight_smile:

Typo alert:

“create” → “crate”

:wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m sure Vice crates everything he creates! :wink:

Gah. Brain-based auto-correct. :smiley:

1 Like

I just stumbled on this interesting video.

1 Like

@gmack That’s the same video that got me cutting with high DOCs. I don’t cut enough aluminum to be good at it, but it’s fun to go with a 15mm DOC.

1 Like

No go on that, only 0.19 nm torque.

@Vince.Fab For a “Hardcore” alum milling challenge in a different direction… this does look like alum… doesn’t it?

https://opensourceleg.com/how-to-make/

Note they have .STEP files there (Fusion 360 can load them), and the pieces all look like stuff that could be done on a (calibrated) 3-axis CNC. Like an S3.

Note they’re quoting ~$15.6k for the machining. Wow.

There’s a video about the project, which puts it in context:

Seems like a positive thing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow the actuators and encoders only are almost 10K. I wonder if there are cheaper alternatives.

2 Likes

Yeah, similar thought here. :slight_smile: