HDM 1.5 kw spindle "SOLD OUT"

I have been researching CNC’s and decided on the HDM with a 1.5 kw spindle. I actually went to order yesterday and it now shows “SOLD OUT” , however, the 2.2 kw spindle is still available. It looks like the price is the same and I could easily run a 220v circuit, so really not an issue, but was wondering if there are any other considerations for getting a 2.2 kw vs 1.5 kw spindle. Brand new to CNC, so any thoughts are appreciated before I get the 2.2 kw. Thanks.

The only reason for the 1.5KW 110V spindle is to accommodate folks who can’t have/afford a 220V drop — you’ll appreciate the extra 700 Watts when using the larger tooling which ER-20 allows.

2 Likes

In that case, def go for the 2.2kw.

I have a 1.5kw HDM. I converted a SO3 XL to a 2.2kw spindle a few years ago. So, I’ve experience with both spindle variants. The 1.5kw HDM is standout machine, no question. Just saying there are occasions where I miss the extra grunt of a 2.2kw spindle.

2 Likes

I read everything I could find before I ordered the 2.2KW HDM. The only down side I could find was the necessity to have a 220V circuit.

Simple math tells me the 1.5KW spindle alone is going to pull almost 14amps, so you’re going to be limited as to what you can run off the same circuit anyway. Running a dedicated 110v circuit for the HDM wouldn’t be a bad idea even if you have the 110v version. Trying to run even just a shop vac for dust collection on the same circuit is going to push the limits of even a 20a circuit.

2 Likes

Correct, the spindle requires a dedicated circuit, in either version — the one exception would be if one wired up a 20 Amp 110V outlet — that can handle both the spindle and a dust collection system of up to 6 amps.

1 Like

I think a shop vac is rated at peak amps so I’d expect the constant load to be less and circuit breakers generally don’t trip on instantaneous loads. Still you’re going to be running the CNC for extended periods of time, which is also true for the vac, the electronics box (probably not much of a load), your computer, the water coolant, lights, etc. All of these loads will be running for extended periods which is the greatest electrical hazard as heat is the problem. If your house wiring is a long run of 14ga and you have your rig connected to a 14ga or less extension cord I would expect the likelihood of problems to be fairly high and that’s a lot of risk to trust to a circuit breaker as the only thing from keeping your house from burning down. A rare CB trip isn’t much of a concern, but if it happens often this is a good indication you need to do something different.

1 Like

Thanks for your input … I do appreciate it. I would be running dedicated circuits to either machine … 220v and/or a couple of 20amp 110v , so really doesn’t matter which machine I get … convinced the 220v is the way to go. :+1:

That’s the same realization I came about. I think it’s important for anyone considering one of these machines to think about the electrical requirements. Even the 1.5KW version pulls considerably more current than your typical router and that’s just the spindle. Even newer homes will typically only have one 15a circuit and maybe two if you are lucky running all the accessory outlets and lights in your garage or interior room. Older homes means older wiring that may be even less forgiving.

1 Like

I have the 2.2kw and it was well worth adding the 220v line. The 2.2kw will let you run drills better and really help should you want to use 1/2" tooling.

I ran my 1" whiteside surfacing bit .25" deep full width through a pine board from an old stair step manually jogging it at 10k rpm as fast as it could jog and it didn’t flinch.

I didn’t mean to start that deep but the dust boot brush was blocking my view of the cutter and since it didn’t groan or chatter I just kept going and it came out perfect with no ridges. I’m glad I went 2.2kw plus it saves that 110v circuit for my vac and compressor.

2 Likes

Again … thanks for the input Bubba and Able … I appreciate it. I have a newer home and since I was involved in the build and knew I would be working in my garage I have three 20 amp circuits, a 30 amp and 50 amp (220), however, where I’m putting the CNC I only have the two 20 amp (110) close. I had planned on adding a mini split in close proximity to where I’ll put the CNC, and don’t have a circuit for it, so might as well do it all at once.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.