HDM homing issue - hitting limit switch

Hi, I just received my HDM and plugged it in. When I hit the initialize button in carbide motion, the spindle will move maybe 1mm into the back right and say “limit switch hit”, I will do it a second time and receive the same results, however on the third time, it will home, move the spindle to the front where it asks me to insert a tool, then when it goes back to home it will stop and give our the limit switch error. It will repeat this every time, does anyone know what is going on?

Thank you in advance.

Please write in to support@carbide3d.com and we will do our best to get this sorted out w/ you.

I have reached out regarding this and a few other issues, however I haven’t received much help.

Hopefully @Luke will see your message here, or on support and be able to either chime in, or guide someone through assisting you.

one thing to check is the various wirings; especially there is some wiring at the back of the machine that is worth checking, like are all connectors seated correctly etc.

1 Like

In most cases limit switches are NC, I would start by tracking down to the controller and making sure your connections are secure there, if they are not or there is a break in the wire it will show up as always being made.

1 Like

All of the wires seem to be in fair shape

Can you get to the jog screen to zero the X&Y axes ? I wonder if its somehow convinced itself that the home position is beyond the dimensions of the bed ? They should default to the machine zero, but maybe its just in a weird state from not having been used yet.

Also, have you gone into the CarbideMotion settings screen where you select that you have a HDM (and it’ll flash all the right settings to the board) ?

That is what I thought too, I manually entered the HDM dimensions and flashed it to the HDM settings and neither worked. Since I can’t get passed initializing it, I can’t get to the screen where I can jog. Seems like a very weird state.

Have you by any chance enabled the bitsetter in the settings but not set its location (so left it as 0,0) ?
If you have that checkbox enabled, after the machine homes then prompts you to put the tool in, it’ll try zeroing the tool by moving to the bitsetter location which probably defaults to 0,0 (machine coordinates) which would be right on the limit switches. Leave it disabled until you can get the machine joggable, then jog to the right location and turn it on and set its location.

2 Likes

That seemed to have helped with the limit switch problem, thank you. Now I just have to find out why probing is failing every time.

This could all be linked to improper grbl settings. I’d re-send them from the settings dialogue.

Make sure you are running the latest carbide motion too.

2 Likes

Would anyone know why the limit switch is hitting after I begin a job and it attempts to home?

Usually this would be caused by a disconnect in where the origin is set in the file and how you are setting it relative to the stock.

Post the .c2d file, step-by-step notes on how you are securing your stock and setting zero relative to it, and how you are managing all tool changes and a photo showing an attempt at cutting still in place on the machine — a video of the entire process would help as well.

The machine doesn’t try and re-home after you start a job. Have you zero’d out the tool relative to your workpiece ? If you’ve left the zero at the machine origin (rear/right), then it’s expected the machine will try to start cutting relative to that location, and if any of your gcode has positive X/Y coordinates, its going to be trying to move beyond the machine and hit limit switches.

2 Likes

This helped, thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.