HDM rear ball screw loose

I found that one of the rear Y axis ball screw nuts were loose. Is fixing this one finger tight+ loctite like the front one or no? It looks like there was some red loctite on it before but it’s hard to tell.

Please check in at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll have someone who is experienced w/ the mechanics of an HDM respond.

2 Likes

As someone who had this happen to them. Im still waiting on the proper torque of this nut a few days later. Absolutely baffling to not have torque values of
non standard hardware available to the entire support team. However long it takes the hdm facility to respond is how long I have to wait. The only thing having an hdm has taught me as a long time customer is that its my last machine from them. Having support prop up the company for the wrong doings of everyone else isnt the way. Not a single piece of hardware on my entire machine was more then finger tight when it arrived.

3 Likes

I agree. The HDM pushes the “Hobby machine” mindset into the prosumer category and should be supported as such. Dedicated team, more info available, better QC.

And don’t get me started on the vfd.

3 Likes

Same here, the amount of loose screws on my machine is really frustrating. Carbide 3D’s customer support and community is great and all, but the nonexistent qc really has to improve. I’m over a year into owning this machine and I’m still finding loose screws.

1 Like

Ive had very hit or miss support with my machine even down to telling them in an email I was using saunders machine works half inch fixture plates when asking about the in house way they shim axis’s because I was 16 thou out on x. They replied asking me to send photos of how my hybrid table was mounted. Leading me to believe it either was not read or was a copy pasted response. Those fixture plates are the most popular after market mod for the machine. They are very very common. Even on my nomad support was questionable. They were always fast to send out replacement parts but anytime you had an actual technical question it was always beat around the bush like it was some in house secret.

1 Like

Since there is really not a supportive answer here, I believe that large nut is the bearing retainer. The DAC assembly is what runs inside there and consists of the smaller nut on the screw. I don’t have torque specs but it should be <5 lbs. Likely even less that that. (~2.5lbs). As long as the smaller nut on the screw is tight ans the screw has no linear play, just tighten the bearing retainer as appropriate. Do not put loctite on it unless its light duty.

1 Like

Ill drop what information I get when I get a reply to my email thats more then asking me to tear apart my machine for a torque value.

I got a response from customer support back, they said that I could take off the motor and use a long reach hex socket to reach the nut.
However at the same time, they said to use red loctite and to tighten by hand until it’s tight, so I’m still waiting for clarification from them.

I just got an email back from C3D,

The fix is red loctite and 15NM

3 Likes

I had the same retainer nut come out on the X axes of my Pro 5 machine after about 3-4 weeks of use. Support wanted a picture, which i gave them, and said to screw it back in ‘snug tight’. They said i could use a Loc-tite on it but i did not do so. I have been using the machine 4 months now and its still tight. I did check all the remaining axises nuts and they were tight.

2 Likes

I just tightened it all up and it worked. Support got back to me quickly, and with torque value. Most of my hardware came with loctite but I bought my HDM early this year, so maybe they only started applying it after the first ones were shipped. This was their first attempt at shipping assembled machines, if I’m not mistaken.

Just want to throw in my two cents after 7 months of owning a HDM. Don’t waste your money. My machine is well tuned and cuts pretty good now but everything was loose, board required replacement and still has random failures. It’s a heavy hobby machine, I wish I used the money for a down payment of a real machine.

My last (and only) carbide 3d product.

1 Like

100% its my opinion that the hdm is a place holder for a halo product most people wont buy so carbide 3d doesnt put much attention to it like the cheaper machines. Either that or their level of incompetence is astounding. When the machine works its fine but its been nothing but problems since i got it. Closed eco system, hardware issues, loose bolts, not screwed down in shipping, lack of technical data, hit or miss support. Everything under the rainbow. If your the type to not require a hand through everything your far better off with a used fadal and phase coverter or a cnc converted precision matthews. I absolutely feel ripped over my money, the time wasted between insane shipping delays and trouble shooting, the ignorance to ignore basic information in emails and waiting on support. I just do not suggest anything carbide 3d anymore unless someone is a 100% hand needed help new to machining. I have had far far too many negative expirences with carbide 3d as a whole from machine issues(nomad 3 and hdm) to warped fixturing. Just way to much crap to feel comfortable suggesting them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.